** URGENT ** Need Optimization Help

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is gotten serious enough that I had to start this thread. I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 running Cubase 7.07. I7 with 16 GIG RAM and 2 SSD drives. So while it's not state of the art, it's not a wimpy computer. Previous to the update to Windows 10, it was running reasonably well. I could run 35 instances of Omnisphere 2 with no problems.

1. The other day I had laid down 1 track. Music Labs Real Guitar. I then went to lay down a drum track using MODO Drums. While playing the drum track, the audio began to crackle. Never have I had this problem with just 2 active tracks.

2. Today, I opened up Cubase and with nothing loaded, it was lagging terribly just trying to navigate the menus. I brought up Task Manager and Cubase was taking up 14.2% CPU. I had to shut it down and start it up again and finally got it down to 0.8% CPU.

These are just 2 of the many examples of abysmal performance I am getting with my DAW. The DAW hasn't changed so the problem has to be Windows 10.

I have read a few things online that Windows 10 has problems related to music production, but I could not find anything in regard to how to fix the problem.

So I'm coming here. Is there anybody who has had a similar problem? If so, what did you do to correct it, short of getting a new computer. My PC should be more than good enough to load 2 tracks of music.

That aside, I suspect that MODO drums is a HORRIBLE resource hog and they need to do something about it FAST. It is almost unusable.

Thank you for your assistance.

I'm running Cubase 10.5 on a 4th generation i7 and getting decent, but not spectacular performance, although my processor is a bit long in the tooth now.

The thing that jumps out to me is that you're running Cubase 7, which I believe was released in 2012. There's a thread on Steinberg's forum which suggests that Cubase 7 isn't compatible with Windows 10 - https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=87710

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but have you tried opening a project with 35 instances of Omnisphere for comparison. That would act as a benchmark to see how the performance compares, and eliminates the possibility of MODO drums not being well-optimised.

Steinberg also introduced the Steinberg Power Scheme at some point over the releases of Windows 8, 8.1 and 10. You might need to enable that if it's available.

The other thing you could try would be to get a trial of the current version of Cubase to see how that runs. Cubase normally installs in parallel with older versions, so you wouldn't destroy your Cubase 7 installation (hopefully). Perhaps others could advise or you could contact Steinberg support if you're not comfortable with the installation.

Software obsolescence can be a pain. I have a copy of Adobe Creative Suite CS2 that I paid around £1,200 for ten or so years ago. I can still install it on Windows 10 but it is horrendous to use with a flickering and unresponsive interface.

andrew71 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:26 pm I'm running Cubase 10.5 on a 4th generation i7 and getting decent, but not spectacular performance, although my processor is a bit long in the tooth now.

The thing that jumps out to me is that you're running Cubase 7, which I believe was released in 2012. There's a thread on Steinberg's forum which suggests that Cubase 7 isn't compatible with Windows 10 - https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=87710

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but have you tried opening a project with 35 instances of Omnisphere for comparison. That would act as a benchmark to see how the performance compares, and eliminates the possibility of MODO drums not being well-optimised.

Steinberg also introduced the Steinberg Power Scheme at some point over the releases of Windows 8, 8.1 and 10. You might need to enable that if it's available.

The other thing you could try would be to get a trial of the current version of Cubase to see how that runs. Cubase normally installs in parallel with older versions, so you wouldn't destroy your Cubase 7 installation (hopefully). Perhaps others could advise or you could contact Steinberg support if you're not comfortable with the installation.

Software obsolescence can be a pain. I have a copy of Adobe Creative Suite CS2 that I paid around £1,200 for ten or so years ago. I can still install it on Windows 10 but it is horrendous to use with a flickering and unresponsive interface.
I understand that Cubase 7 on Windows 10 is most likely the culprit, but I don't have hundreds of dollars to upgrade to Cubase 10. I am dead broke right now, which is why I haven't bought a new plugin since like September of last year.

If that's the case, I may just have to live with this until (if) I get the money to upgrade.

That’s why I suggested the Cubase 10.5 trial, providing it will install alongside your current version and not wreck it in the process. You could waste days trying to optimise your system, only to find that it is simply that version of Cubase that’s the problem.

Have you done the post windows upgrade cleanup? That’s Disk Cleanup/Storage Sense, SSD Trim etc? There’s also utilities like IOLO System Mechanic or Glarysoft which can flush out further residual garbage. Also, check what’s going on at StartUp and finally disable the Customer Experience crap. That should optimise Win10. Also, check all drivers have been updated.

They are more likely causes than an older version of Cubase. If it ran OK on Win 7, then it should run OK, if not slightly faster with optimising, on Win 10.

One word of warning. The upgrade cleanup means that you can’t roll back to Win 7.
Last edited by khanyz on Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

Did you switch WIndows 10 to high performance mode/desktop in the power management options?

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:18 pm Did you switch WIndows 10 to high performance mode/desktop in the power management options?
I had done that in Windows 7 and it carried over to Windows 10.

khanyz wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:15 pm Have you done the post windows upgrade cleanup? That’s Disk Cleanup/Storage Sense, SSD Trim etc? There’s also utilities like IOLO System Mechanic or Glarysoft which can flush out further residual garbage. Also, check what’s going on at StartUp and finally disable the Customer Experience crap. That should optimise Win10. Also, check all drivers have been updated.

They are more likely causes than an older version of Cubase. If it ran OK on Win 7, then it should run OK, if not slightly faster with optimising, on Win 10.

One word of warning. The upgrade cleanup means that you can’t roll back to Win 7.
How do I disable the customer experience crap? I don't even know what that is?

khanyz wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:15 pm Have you done the post windows upgrade cleanup? That’s Disk Cleanup/Storage Sense, SSD Trim etc? There’s also utilities like IOLO System Mechanic or Glarysoft which can flush out further residual garbage. Also, check what’s going on at StartUp and finally disable the Customer Experience crap. That should optimise Win10. Also, check all drivers have been updated.

Okay, I am running Windows 10 Home.

This is what I found.
Stop the Customer Experience Improvement Program
The Home version of Windows 10 doesn’t include the Local Group Policy Editor, but you can use the Registry to opt-out of the Customer Experience Improvement Program on your Windows 10 computer.

To turn off the Customer Experience Improvement Program:

Use the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut to open the Run command.
Type regedit, press OK and then select Yes to to open the registry.
Browse to the following path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\SQMClient
If the folders (Keys) do not exist you will need to create them.
Right click on the SQMClient (folder) and select New then Key.
Name the new key Windows and press enter to save.
Select the newly created key (Windows) and right-click within the window pane on the right side, select New, and click on DWORD (32-bit) Value.
Name the DWORD CEIPEnable and press enter.
Double-click the newly created DWORD and make sure its value is set to 0.
Click OK.
Close the Registry and restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
I am NOT messing with the registry. That's how you end up really screwing up your computer.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:31 pm How do I disable the customer experience crap? I don't even know what that is?
It’s Microsoft data collection/telemetry bollocks. It’s probably best to Google for a guide but you can do it using Group Policy Editor, editing the registry and by disabling Scheduled Tasks.

There are third party utilities which can do it but they usually go too far and break things like Windows Update. It’s also difficult to reverse what they do. It’s best to keep it simple and stick to Microsoft utilities.

If you're using Home and don’t want to touch the registry then search in Scheduled Tasks for Tasks that run compattelrunner and disable them. Google it to see what it does. You can always enable them again.

compattelrunner is another set of data collection which overlaps with the Customer Experience. You’ll just be reducing it (significantly) not stopping all of it.

Okay, mystery is solved. I just opened a project with 22 instances of Omnisphere. My resource meter in Cubase barely moved and in Task Manager, the CPU utilization is now around 10%.

The problem is MODO Drums. And most likely it's because IT wasn't tested on Cubase 7 and simply does not work well in it. Either that or it's a CPU hog.

But there is nothing wrong with my system.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:34 pm I am NOT messing with the registry. That's how you end up really screwing up your computer.
So here's an idea. You tell me which keys to change, and I will write an utility that does the changes. So you don't have to mess about with regedit, just double-click on my .exe (or .reg) and give it admin permissions :evil:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:32 pm
wagtunes wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:34 pm I am NOT messing with the registry. That's how you end up really screwing up your computer.
So here's an idea. You tell me which keys to change, and I will write an utility that does the changes. So you don't have to mess about with regedit, just double-click on my .exe (or .reg) and give it admin permissions :evil:
Thanks but the problem is solved. Well, not solved but identified.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”