Will a high-quality audio interface make any difference?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I didn´t know where to post this question, I hope it will be moved to the proper subforum if this is the wrong one, thanks.

I make only electronic and cinematic music using exclusively software synths, virtual instruments, plugins, effects etc. and never record real instruments or vocals.
My question now is, will a very good audio interface like RME´s Fireface UFX significantly increase the performance of my DAW and quality of my music compared to a low-budget audio interface?

Not as much as good monitors and a treated room. It's negligible without the first two

Yes, sure. What I mean specifically is, if I don´t use all the internal DSP and don´t convert multiple audio sources, do zero hardware routing, don´t record with microphones etc.. will I still have significant advantages in performance?

RME have best drivers in business, that will influence usage of your CPU, so you will gain performance from that perspective for sure, everything higher than RME Babyface will be overkill for your needs tho, also something like RME HDSPe AIO could work too, if you don't mind PCIe cards and work solely on your desktop tower, it's total overkill too, but price vs performance vs your needs ratio make most sense with those options.

Thank you, this is what I need to know.

Here's something you might find interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUsLLEkswzE

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... -base.html

If you by any chance want and can use PCI card, than best bang for the buck could be to score second hand RME HDSP 9632 with breakout cable, they go for 200 bucks these days.

Thanks Passing Bye for your input, much appreciated!
I read a lot about the Babyface and decided to give it a try. At the moment I am working with the UR44 from Steinberg and before I disconnect it from my pc, I would like to make some tests and comparisons with both the UR44 and the Babyface.

Does anyone know if my WIN10 computer will run into any problems when running two audio interfaces? Of course I won´t use them at the same time, just let both the Steinberg Yamaha and the RME drivers on my pc during the test period.

It shouldn't run into any problems, go for it.

I'd say that if you have UR44, there's no need to upgrade until it breaks (which might be never).

I thought the same but after working with heavier projects I have only problems with it. The latest drivers are ancient, time for me to upgrade to something reliable.

RME is the right move, little pricier than the rest, but that's price to pay for peace of mind.

One thing to remember — rendering your project to a file doesn't involve an audio interface at all.

When starting out I had no audio interface of any kind installed in my ancient (back then it was new) Sperry-Univac desktop. This was long before the days when every motherboard had a simple "sound card" built in, of course. But this system was able to generate audio files that could be played on machines that did have them. I couldn't monitor anything, of course. That's where the audio interface is handy, to say the least.

Passing Bye wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:55 pm Here's something you might find interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUsLLEkswzE

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... -base.html

If you by any chance want and can use PCI card, than best bang for the buck could be to score second hand RME HDSP 9632 with breakout cable, they go for 200 bucks these days.
Hi,
Agree with this 100%
My main tower DAW is a Scan 3XS i9 based system and is linked to a Magma Chassis (to support TC poco). This also means I can run an RME Multiface from a PCI to Cardbus with the Rme HDSP cardbus. Ancient sound card in a state of the art DAW. It’s rock solid. I also use a Babyface Pro USB for a laptop, and there’s little to choose between the 2 interfaces.
Yeah check out eBay - older RME gear blows most lesser USB kit away for the same money.

SmartCat wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:08 pm I thought the same but after working with heavier projects I have only problems with it. The latest drivers are ancient, time for me to upgrade to something reliable.
Ah ok. Well you know the best :tu:
Can't go wrong with rme interface.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”