I am still in Win7 please advise!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,

i am still on win7. i have hundreds of (legally bought) plugins, but the fear of having to reinstall them all made me not even think a second about moving to windows 10.

but now i am reading about a free update to Win10 which does not even have me reinstall software.

Is that correct? It would solve my problems...

Thanks a lot guys,

Cyphersuit
Finally!

There's always been the option to do a free in place upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 even after when Microsoft officially stopped it. They actually never got round to forcing it.

Take the move from Windows 7 to Windows 10 as an opportunity to look at your system and start anew without the old bloat. Long term it's much better option.
No signature here!

you should start from scratch, but you can also keep your old, messy and dirty installation and upgrade like this.

today with all the cloud stuff it is really easy and fast to mount a fresh new OS.

Grab that W10 license, move your precious files (pics, song files etc) to an external hd, format the hd of your computer and make a fresh install.
Re-install all those hundreds of plugins and do it like a man, without whining.

cyphersuit wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:39 pm Hi guys,

i am still on win7. i have hundreds of (legally bought) plugins, but the fear of having to reinstall them all made me not even think a second about moving to windows 10.

but now i am reading about a free update to Win10 which does not even have me reinstall software.

Is that correct? It would solve my problems...

Thanks a lot guys,

Cyphersuit
You can't do the free upgrade with the existing Win10 media creation tool, only the ones that were offered around the time of the free upgrade offer - see here.

The only exception to this is if you already upgraded (then rolled back) in the past - then the win10 servers already have your details and you can do an in-place upgrade with existing tools.

However you can do a clean install with any version of the Win10 media creation tool, provided you give it a valid win7 license. Sometimes a vendor-specific license (eg. HP) will not work using this approach, and then you have to do an upgrade approach. Always make a clone of your hard drive before upgrading/installing.

In my experience of having upgraded hundreds of machines, if you have the licenses/etc and the installation media, just do a clean install. It tends to work out better 9 times out of 10.

Just stay on Windows 7 and stay away from the internet (especially questionable sites). No need to change a running system. Don't allow Microsoft to manipulate you into adopting their malware infested Win 10.

In-Place-Upgrading for free still does work (At least until yesterday ~23h GMT+1) with the current build 1909. If you want to kiss a trusty OS goodbye in change for (possibly the biggest random behaviour generator in existence) ahem the great inevitable future:
- create a USB drive or burn a DVD with w10 b (beta?!) 1909
- image your current system (e.g. with acronis true image)
- start the setup from within windows 7
- (edited) have some thoughts about the bright future and a beverage of your choice.
- now test what still works and what doesn't. At this point, your serial is registered at ms for your next attempts.
- decide wether to change back to something trustworthy from your image (and be careful) or keep this partial accident as is or install fresh from boot with all the bells and whistles.

(Edited: toned down a bit. Apologies for being a bit snarky over several upgrades during the last weeks. Undisputed highlight: Setup bailed out about 'incompatible software that needs to be removed before we proceed', a famous cd burning software. No traces of it ever having been installed could be found - it turned out to be an installer, residing on a data drive, nowhere near the OS.
Apart from its nightmarish GUI, peculiar privacy behaviour and the question who is in charge of your machine, w10 nevertheless is sort of a stable successor. Rumour has it the free upgrade path will cease to exist with the release of the first 2020 w10 build.)
Last edited by noizetronic on Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Still on Win 7 here. My fear goes that my audio card will not work after the update. No drivers for Win 10 there.
And I can fully understand your concerns.
I guess it will take some time to make all the activations work (if something should fail in the process).
So, yeah it is a risk and no fun at all -
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

I am a Linux user at heart. Don't believe the negative hype. Windows 10 is the best OS ever by Microsoft. The ads and other issues people mention are not a big deal to me.

Doing it in place or from scratch is up to you. My has been from an in place from an in place Windows 8 which was an in place Windows 7 which was an in place Vista. (I am still on Sandy Bridge and looking to upgrade finally). Windows 10 doesn't get that long in the tooth issues. Just uninstall everything you don't use and fix your startup programs. I still recommend CCleaner for just getting ready. Back everything up.
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

Free upgrade from Win7 to Win10 (seems to be still working):

1) Backup all your data!!!

2) On many computers you can find a sticker at the back of the PC. This serial number still works for activating Win10
If you can't find the serial number you can read out your serail number of Win7. You can use the Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder

3) Download the ISO image of Win 10 directly from Microsoft. Do not download it from anywhere else. It could contain a virus

4) Burn a DVD with the ISO or create a USB stick for booting

5) Unplug your network cable

6) Run the Win10 installer. Select that you want to activate Win10 later. Do not connect to the Microsoft account or cloud service during the install.

7) Replug your network cable

8 ) Right-click on the computer item on the desktop. Select Windows activation. Input your win7 serial number

-------------------------------

Or: Microsoft offers an extended support for Win7 Professional / Ultimate. It is $70 per year. Installation is quite a hassle

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:30 am Just stay on Windows 7 and stay away from the internet (especially questionable sites). No need to change a running system. Don't allow Microsoft to manipulate you into adopting their malware infested Win 10.
lol, do you consider the eventuality that there is no monsters who will eat you at the end of ocean, and maybe there is even no end to the ocean because the earth is round ?

Get the free upgrade. Win7 is going to be obsolete soon enough, and once it reaches that point, your system is going to be at risk without upgrading.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

Windows 7 is totally 100% safe to use as long as you never connect to the internet. Want internet install Windows 10.
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

All my Win7 systems have been migrated to Win10 now. 95% of the software still works.

Further recommendations:

- Before you upgrade check out if your hardware is still supported under Win10. If you are using an exotic soundcard check out if there are drivers available

- Backup all important data before you upgrade!!

- Format the harddisc and do a clean install. It's faster and more stable

An in-place upgrade from Win7 to Win 10 should work. SHOULD. Clone your drive to another one before doing it - if you value your data.

Alternatively, you can still get extended security updates for Windows 7 with the following method..
https://www.zdnet.com/article/bypass-di ... l-systems/

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”