Macbook problems

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all, I trust your all well

Having problems with my Macbook and wonder about your thoughts. Its 2015 with 16GB memory.

I have perhaps foolishly updated to Catalina and it seems from around this time when using logic the laptop will crash when doing things like loading instuments or effects. This also started happening when i downloaded Bluearp and ANA2 so maybe to do with them but it can crash using any instument.

Basically i get the spinning beachball and then all goes black and there is a message "your computer restarted because of a problem, press any key...." When it reboots the problem report says its a panic and kernal trap (with lots of other numbers etc)

I have done some reading but its all a mystery. I did have it booked into the i store but due to work i cant make the appointment.

I have the CPU meter up on logic, one of the bars can go upto around 60% before it crashes? I dont think its a memory issue?

Any ideas?

thanks

First thing to try is a complete clean reinstall - as in not only a clean install of catalina (wouldn't be the first time I've seen an upgrade install be unstable - especially true if it's actually been 10.12->10.13->10.14->10.15) but also a clean reinstall of your applications (not the usual 'restore from timemachine' approach).

jdnz wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:16 pm First thing to try is a complete clean reinstall - as in not only a clean install of catalina (wouldn't be the first time I've seen an upgrade install be unstable - especially true if it's actually been 10.12->10.13->10.14->10.15) but also a clean reinstall of your applications (not the usual 'restore from timemachine' approach).
ok will look into how to do this - thanks for the advice.

Ive read somewhere you can see which plugins are "conflicting" with the OS? Any ideas on how to do this?

Go back from your time machine. Catalina isn‘t out long enough to even try it! Kernel panics is not related to a crashing application, its deeper! Save the documents you made separately, wipe your hard drive and go back to the state before Catalina...

(No backup no mercy...)

Maybe it’s ANA or Bluearp as it started the same time as you installed them?

Maybe remove them (along with their cache and any Application Support files), reboot and see if you have problems?

Bob, most plugins aren't going to be compatible with Catalina yet. Hell, Avid doesn't even have a version of Protools that works with Catalina yet.

Apple made major changes with this update including entitlements, hardened-runtime/code signing, notarization, killing 32-bit, ect; it's going to be awhile before it's a stable platform for audio production.

Thanks for the input all.

Seems ridiculous to me why would they release this update knowing it will cause these sort of problems. It sounds like going back to the old operating systems is a whole load of grief.

Adam, when you say a while how long would you guess??!!!

Bob Slydell wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:33 pm Seems ridiculous to me why would they release this update knowing it will cause these sort of problems. It sounds like going back to the old operating systems is a whole load of grief.
Well they announced the proposed changes over 2 years ago, so it’s not really the case that they released the update knowing it would cause problems.

I updated to Catalina and had no issues with any apps or plugins (except for the standalone versions from the Korg collection, as Korg hasn’t created 64-bit versions). Even the plugins that developers warned are “untested in Catalina” all worked fine from day one.

Maybe reach out to the plugin developers on this? They’re the ones who need to provide the updates for their plugins to work.

Forgotten wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:38 pm
Bob Slydell wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:33 pm Seems ridiculous to me why would they release this update knowing it will cause these sort of problems. It sounds like going back to the old operating systems is a whole load of grief.
Well they announced the proposed changes over 2 years ago, so it’s not really the case that they released the update knowing it would cause problems.

I updated to Catalina and had no issues with any apps or plugins (except for the standalone versions from the Korg collection, as Korg hasn’t created 64-bit versions). Even the plugins that developers warned are “untested in Catalina” all worked fine from day one.

Maybe reach out to the plugin developers on this? They’re the ones who need to provide the updates for their plugins to work.
:tu:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”