Steinberg AI knob

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,

I'm thinking how I can update my Windows 7 32 bit system to Windows 10 64 bit as cheap as possible. As I still have Cubase 5.5, although I'm mainly a Maschine user these days, I'm considering a Steinberg CI audio interface with an AI knob. Great idea of Steinberg, but old forum topics state that the AI knob didn't work that well with third party plugins at the time. But after all those years, does the AI knob work well with most third party plugins now?

Perhaps anyone with a CMC-AI or CC121 can tell me how well the AI knob works with third party VST plugins?

I have a CC121. In my experience, nowadays using the AI knob is a bit of a hit and miss. It usually works fine with VST 2.4 plugins, but is losing support with VST 3. More and more plugins recently released as VST 3 don't respond to the AI knob. Maybe It has to do with changes in the VST 3 protocol that need to be addressed with a firmware or a driver update. Anyway, for me, if you use Cubase the CC121 is still a solid and useful device.

Thanks Sahul. A bit strange that Steinberg who introduced both AI and VST3 isn't making sure this is working perfectly together.

I'm getting a used CI2+ audio interface for a mere EUR 10 btw. Cosmetically it's not in the best shape, but if it works, then I can at least start making music on 64 bit and finetune my setup before I choose a better, more expensive audio interface.

The AI knob always intrigued me, but I haven't used Cubase in a long time. Now that new plugins often are released as VST3 only and Maschine has no support yet, I might start using Maschine in Cubase again. And EUR 10 is a cheap way to find out if this works well for me.

The problem with Steinberg and these devices is that they aren't actively supporting them (no driver updates since 2015), even though they are still promoting and selling them, at least the CC121. But yes, 10€ is a killer price. I'm pretty sure you will find uses for it. When the AI knob works it's phenomenal, it really boosts the workflow.

:tu:

Regarding this, at the Steinberg Forums somebody commented that the problem with the AI knob is that developers have to allow their plugins to receive external controls, which seems not to be set in the VST 3 SDK by default. So maybe it's not entirely Steinberg's fault.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”