Another is my upcoming Laptop good enough thread :*

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So after almost six years I need and want to buy a new laptop. ATM I use a Toshiba Satellite (Win 7, 4GB Ram, Intel i5 M460) but need definitely an upgrade. So I found a good offer (704€). But I like to know what you thinking of and if it would be a good decision. I'll use the laptop mainly for musicproduction, no gaming or so. Thanks in advance.
This is the candidate:

Inspiron 15 7000
Intel® Core™ i5-8265U
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) MX250 2 GB GDDR5
M.2-PCIe-NVMe-SSD-Diskdrive, 256 GB
15,6''
Windows 10 Home (64 Bit)
rabbit in a hole

I'd go for at least an i7 processor if you can, and as much RAM as the thing will hold. Will you record to a separate drive? If not a larger SSD would be handy.

I have a 2012 i7 MacBookPro that still has quite a bit more processing power than any of the recent i5 PC laptops I use. Speaking of which I'm more impressed by low-midrange HP laptops (I work in IT and oversee 150 of them) than either Dell or Acer's similar offerings, but it depends on the model.

Autobot wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:31 pm So after almost six years I need and want to buy a new laptop. ATM I use a Toshiba Satellite (Win 7, 4GB Ram, Intel i5 M460) but need definitely an upgrade. So I found a good offer (704€). But I like to know what you thinking of and if it would be a good decision. I'll use the laptop mainly for musicproduction, no gaming or so. Thanks in advance.
This is the candidate:

Inspiron 15 7000
Intel® Core™ i5-8265U
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) MX250 2 GB GDDR5
M.2-PCIe-NVMe-SSD-Diskdrive, 256 GB
15,6''
Windows 10 Home (64 Bit)
That should be plenty fast according to the benchmarks:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cp ... Hz&id=3323

I am currently using an 8th gen Core i3 notebook and only have problems with the hungriest plugins (like Repro 5). You would probably benefit from a larger SSD or external drive.

FYI, Spitfire Audio "recommends" for using their sample libraries a 2.8GHz I7 six-core (12-thread) processor with 16GB RAM
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

"U" series chips are the super power-saving models. They have low base clock speeds and rely upon 2 core turbo for most of their performance, which is exactly what you don't want on an audio machine.

It's the "HQ" series of chips that you ideally should be looking at.

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

Thanks for the feedback. I've made a decision I will get a Lenovo ThinkPad E595 (760€). There is no additonal GPU but the integrated one get some good reviews. Not sure how important is a dedicated GPU for audio stuff... however...
Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700U Processor (4MB Cache, up to 3.80GHz)
16 GB DDR4 2.400 MHz SODIMM
256 GB SSD, M.2 2280, PCIe, NVMe, TLC (may invest additional 47€ for a 512 GB SSD)
Windows 10 Pro (64 Bit)

Will deliver a review as soon as I got my new laptop
rabbit in a hole

Looks like a good choice. Although the CPU seems to suffer from the same problems as the other AMD's: Good multi core performance, but bad single core performance. Anyway, for the price, it should be very good bang for the buck.

Just as a notice for others: I'm a student and can get advantage of the Lenovo Campus deals so I get for 748€ this configuration:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700U Processor (4MB Cache, up to 3.80GHz)
RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2.400 MHz SODIMM (one additional slot available)
HDD: 512GB M.2 PCIe/NVMe SSD Opal 2.0 (one additional slot available)
GPU: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10

Review of a similar configuration
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Th ... 304.0.html

I think this is a really good deal. I will buy it end of November beginning of December. Any I will post my experience with this one. Stay tuned
rabbit in a hole

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”