USB-C/TB3 Hub with enough Power

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for a hub/adapter to connect an RME Babyface and a Linnstrument to a MacBook Pro 13" (2019). Using only one of the MacBook Pro's TB3 ports, and without an additional power adapter.

The RME Babyface is bus-powered over two USB 2.0 ports using a Y cable. The Linnstrument is also bus-powered and needs one USB 2.0 port.

Is this possible in terms of bus power? If so, how can I find a hub/adapter? They never seem to specify how much power they provide to each port..
Or is it a bad idea in terms of transfer speed and thus, latency on the Babyface?
Any help would be appreciated :)
Last edited by declassified on Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Looking at just transfer speeds on paper, USB 2.0 has a rating of 480Mb/s and TB3 has a transfer rate of 40 Gb/s. So theoretically transfer speed would not be an issue given that you don't have more than 83 USB 2.0 devices running simultaneously on a hub feeding into the TB3...

But that is in a perfect world where hardware does not vary and is always performing at its best, so essentially there is always potential for latency issues when using dongles. As for bus-powering, I can't say for sure since I don't have experience, but those ports are intended for power delivery. So I think that issue rests on the hub itself.

Thanks Steve! It sounds like it would be best to dedicate one of the MacBook's USB-C ports to the Babyface alone.

As for the power delivery, I'll get a USB multimeter and try it out.

I use a OWC thunderbolt dock 14 port, it’s a beast check it out

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”