Windows based on board Graphics ports or a separate Graphics Card for twin display?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Windows 7 64bit

I run a duel display Asus HD 5450 512MB DDR3 Silent Graphics Card and tonight both of my monitors went crazy and started flicking off and on over and over.

I did the usual, tested the cables, downloaded and installed the latest win 7 64 bit drivers for the card and Monitors but nothing worked.

I then plugged my monitors directly into the Mother Boards own Graphics Ports and the monitors work perfectly which leads me to think the Asus card is the issue.

I was always told that for a DAW, you don't need a fancy Graphics Card, no 3D acceleration and so on, as this can take up resources from the MB's CPU and all you need is a basic twin output PCI Graphics card. The explanation was it took the work of running graphics away from the CPU and therefore reduced any potential problems with glitches and so on when running CPU hungry music applications and soft synths.

From a Dedicated DAW point of view, does it matter if I run the monitors on the MB's ports or is it better to have a separate basic Graphics Card?

that is an old amd card.. nothing wrong with it, that it is old. i use still one in an older computer.
a dedicated graphics card, in my opinion, does an effect on DAW performance. when all is well, a positive one.
the main memory isn't used, and plugins/DAWs are als GPU hungry, opengl is used a lot. it depends on the daw, ableton with push 2, a dedicated graphics card is really recommended, in my humble opinion.

only problem, that sometimes the drivers can be problem. in my case, i work still on windows 7 64 bit, with a nvidia card, the nvidia card takes some load, and makes the cpu/memory free of GPU tasks. it is a 1060 6GB by the way.

but, it is not different with games, or with AMD, you can sometimes get problems. i do not experience these problems.

every extra 'part' of a computer is prone to cause problems.

not to scare you off...

the build in graphics card can also cause problems, of course.

but if it works they way you work now, and do not run in to performance problems. some plugins are very GPU hungry, as some DAWs. no problem.

it doesn't have to be a fancy card, a nvidia 1050 with 4GB, is already nice. don't know an amd ecquivalent.

i use 3 monitors by the way, it taxes your GPU. why the 1060 6GB, also for video editing..

You don't say what the built-in chip is?

We used to avoid it as they could be a bit erratic, but the current-gen of onboard GPU's tends to be great. To be fair, either it's working or it isn't.

If it can crank out the resolutions you need, to the screens that you want and your sequencer isn't spitting its dummy... well, just use it till it doesn't.

Thanks everyone.

I have purchased a cheap priced ASUS GeForce GT 710 Silent (2GB DDR3) just to be on the safe side :)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”