Has any Windows 10 DAW users....

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

1. You confuse hostility with people who want to correct your false statements...
2. Go on using a soon to be obsolete and bad performing (in comparison) OS. Nobody will hinder you. :shrug:

Argh, I meant the update mechanism is hostile to end user, nothing against anyone here.
Bad thing in continuing using Win7 is I cannot update the machine... and on Win10 the machine would seem to be without internet and update mechanism at this point of time.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Ah... apologies then. :oops:

I still think you shouldn't hang on to obsolete Win 7 though. :) Of course, your decision.

It's a legitimate choice, given circumstances.

metamorphosis wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:37 pm Theres about 100 things I change on any win10 installation for clients, most to get rid of performance issues.
Luckily it's all mostly automated now.
FYI, cortana isn't disabled if you simply choose not to use it on win10 installation. It's still there.
I've noticed on some systems I have to disable Superfetch, Windows Search and Defender temporarily to get disk-heavy operations to complete, as Win10 is dumb as pigs ears about when it's allowed to spam your hard drive for no good reason.
Overall it's a terrible system.
I know some of the problems with 100% Disk Usage is a bad driver for the disk controller as I recall? But it's still interesting that some systems need the tweak, and some do not. Only time I've had issues with this on Win8/10 is when the boot drive was on an old spinning media drive and not SSD. Zero issues so far on a few machines here.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

Yes Windows 10 benefits quite heavily from an SSD, due to it's overuse of the system drive compared to other versions of Windows. But any setup will benefit from the tweaks in question, regardless of storage mechanism. Haven't heard of disk controller issues, got a source?

metamorphosis wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:58 pm Yes Windows 10 benefits quite heavily from an SSD, due to it's overuse of the system drive compared to other versions of Windows. But any setup will benefit from the tweaks in question, regardless of storage mechanism. Haven't heard of disk controller issues, got a source?
Google "100 percent disk usagage Windows 10" and you'll get plenty of hits.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

That's a weird one. (https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... evices-wit)
Theres similar issues with some SSDs and intel ACHI drivers, whereas reverting to the microsoft ACHI driver fixes the slowdown.

legendCNCD wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:12 pm Well, there are a lot of reports Win10 update mechanism taking 25-100% CPU (one core at least).
How many reports? 10? 100? 1000? Even if it was one million, that is still only 0.1% of users, an insignificantly tiny proportion.
I've noticed it on my lowend laptop too.
Really? I've never noticed it on my Atom powered tablet, although that's still running Win8.
On Win7 you could say download but let me decide when to install, it never failed aka installed anything without you specifically hitting INSTALL.
How is that any different to Win10? It downloads updates in the background, lets you know they are there and waits for you to initiate the install process or for your computer to be idle outside active hours. As I said, I find it far less disruptive than Win7 ever was and I have never been inconvenienced by it or lost any work, both of which happened multiple times to me under Win7.
chk071 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:24 pmHow stupid would that be anyway? To check every 5 minutes for updates?
Yeah, sometimes when I go looking for updates myself, it will be several days since Windows last checked for them, even though my PC is on for a minimum of two hours a day.
Autobot wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:32 pmWhat!? Really? Never though of this. Are you sure this is a safe way to go? I'm not an lowbrow user but I would be paranoid nevertheless ...
I've been on line since 1997, I have never installed or used any anti-virus software beyond what comes built into Windows and I have never had even the tiniest problem. Common sense is you best protection against malware as something like 85% of successful malware attacks work by tricking the user into letting them run. Win10 has more than enough protection built in.
metamorphosis wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:37 pmFYI, cortana isn't disabled if you simply choose not to use it on win10 installation. It's still there.
Using 0% CPU, 0MB RAM, 0% disk and network bandwidth and 0% GPU. WHy bother getting rid of it altogether? Seems like a waste of time and energy to me.
I've noticed on some systems I have to disable Superfetch, Windows Search and Defender temporarily to get disk-heavy operations to complete, as Win10 is dumb as pigs ears about when it's allowed to spam your hard drive for no good reason.
Not seeing it. Never seen it. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but it doesn't interfere with me getting anything done so it's an issue that is not a problem and, therefore, not worth worrying about. You sound like my brother. He's a motor mechanic and all he ever sees are cars with problems so if you ask him about any car, he'll tell you it's rubbish and list all the things he's had fix on them. If you took his advice, you'd never buy any car.
Overall it's a terrible system.
But the alternatives are all much worse so what are you going to do?
metamorphosis wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:04 amIt's a legitimate choice, given circumstances.
No, it's not. It's a ridiculous choice made out of paranoid fear and ignorance.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Lol.

Best of luck

BONES wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:53 pm
legendCNCD wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:12 pm Well, there are a lot of reports Win10 update mechanism taking 25-100% CPU (one core at least).
How many reports? 10? 100? 1000? Even if it was one million, that is still only 0.1% of users, an insignificantly tiny proportion.
I've noticed it on my lowend laptop too.
Really? I've never noticed it on my Atom powered tablet, although that's still running Win8.
On Win7 you could say download but let me decide when to install, it never failed aka installed anything without you specifically hitting INSTALL.
How is that any different to Win10? It downloads updates in the background, lets you know they are there and waits for you to initiate the install process or for your computer to be idle outside active hours. As I said, I find it far less disruptive than Win7 ever was and I have never been inconvenienced by it or lost any work, both of which happened multiple times to me under Win7.
Well, one can do a search about the Update taking a lot of CPU. This was of course very visible on my lowend pentium quadcore, operating in low power mode (not power save). I didnt notice this on Win8. Something changed there, but I remember also Win7 update taking sometimes a lot of CPU, though that was fixed later on.

On Win7 you could say Manual Download/Download but let me decide when to install them. By this I have never had Win7 to boot or download updates without me being in control. On Win10 you cant say anything else except delay the installation for 30 days? Now my script will make sure it wont boot until I say boot.

Unfortunately for me, the laptop has taken itself down behind my back so to say, not saying about should it boot or not. I'm not the only one also with this happening, Win10 ignoring fex. 3D rendering CPU & GPU usage and just boot, taking the unfinished rendering with it.

Now we can all think about is this acceptable behaviour of an OS meant for PRO use? For me it is not. It is not unneeded fear when one has friends cursing about it, either at work or home. Though for work I find it curious if they dont have WSUS or such :P

I wish I could safely just update to Win10 but I feel from my own and others experiences, though not all bad or such, its still not the time as the control of updates is one thing what I would want from my OS.. Still, my current hardware is ok, I updated bios and got even smaller DPC latency :D (it was 45, now its 38)
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro

legendCNCD wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:26 pm I'm not the only one also with this happening, Win10 ignoring fex. 3D rendering CPU & GPU usage and just boot, taking the unfinished rendering with it.

Now we can all think about is this acceptable behaviour of an OS meant for PRO use? For me it is not. It is not unneeded fear when one has friends cursing about it, either at work or home. Though for work I find it curious if they dont have WSUS or such :P
I don't know you could get the behavior you described. If you define Windows 10 to never restart and install updates during busy hours, and define a time interval where it cannot install those, that can never happen during that interval time. At least here it doesn't.

Unless you didn't define the time interval properly, and the rendering tasks went through outside of it.
Fernando (FMR)

To be fair, I have seen similar behaviour. Somehow Windows doesn't always see unattended activity like rendering so if you put something on to render overnight, it may restart while the computer is still active once it is outside Active Hours. But that happened to me only once and it was a very early version of Win10. It might even have been a pre-release beta.
legendCNCD wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:26 pmWell, one can do a search about the Update taking a lot of CPU.
You're missing my point. There are a close to one billion W10 users, you are going to be able to search and find any problem you can imagine. That doesn't make it widespread or worth worrying about because the chances of it happening to you are insignificant. And, frankly, in this instance it's not something that anyone would worry about anyway. Seriously, it might cause a slight inconvenience that is likely to last a minute or two. It won't stop you working, which makes it not worth worrying about.
On Win7 you could say Manual Download/Download but let me decide when to install them.
You could but that didn't mean W7 actually respected your wishes. It would still pop up a notification every two hours and if you weren't in front of your machine to delay it a further two hours, it would go ahead and restart, even after you told it not to.
Now my script will make sure it wont boot until I say boot.
A blank script would achieve that because this is how W10 works anyway. It downloads automatically but it doesn't install until you allow it. Unless, of course, an update doesn't require a restart, in which case it will just do it without annoying you. It saves you the hassle to dealing with it. Who wouldn't want that?
Unfortunately for me, the laptop has taken itself down behind my back so to say, not saying about should it boot or not. I'm not the only one also with this happening, Win10 ignoring fex. 3D rendering CPU & GPU usage and just boot, taking the unfinished rendering with it.
Did you set your Active Hours? First thing any "pro" would do. A "pro" would also render to frames so they could pick it up again where it left off, effectively losing no render time at all.
I wish I could safely just update to Win10 but I feel from my own and others experiences, though not all bad or such, its still not the time as the control of updates is one thing what I would want from my OS.
You're talking about something that happens once or twice a month, and takes maybe a minute or two, as though it affected your work every hour of every day. Do you not see how ridiculous that is?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:37 amYou could but that didn't mean W7 actually respected your wishes. It would still pop up a notification every two hours and if you weren't in front of your machine to delay it a further two hours, it would go ahead and restart, even after you told it not to.
I've ran W7 without booting for over an year... with that setting :)
Did you set your Active Hours? First thing any "pro" would do. A "pro" would also render to frames so they could pick it up again where it left off, effectively losing no render time at all.
I wasnt this one who rendered, but yes I tried active hours too, I found it randomly doing update during the active hours back in the day. Havent tried it after that though.
You're talking about something that happens once or twice a month, and takes maybe a minute or two, as though it affected your work every hour of every day. Do you not see how ridiculous that is? 
Then what if the update f**ks up fex. DPC latency as it has done few times? Then roll back and pray? No thanks, I'll update when I want and I want to be sure the 'beta testers' will validate it first (meaning other users who update immediately) :)

legendCNCD wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:39 pmI've ran W7 without booting for over an year... with that setting :)
What, continuously, 24/7? You must have had updates turned off completely for that. And everyone knows you need to reboot your computer on a regular basis to clean it out and maintain performance. I switch mine off at least once a day, often 3 or 4 times a day on weekends. It is only switched on when I am sitting in front of it, or it's rendering overnight, and I always close it down and restart it from cold. (Sleep and hibernate were always so troublesome I never got into the habit of using them. Now that they work properly, our machines start so fast from cold that it still doesn't seem worth bothering with.)
Then what if the update f**ks up fex. DPC latency as it has done few times?
Then I'd say you are extremely unlucky because it has never bothered any of my machines in the slightest, even with Insider Preview builds.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”