Has any Windows 10 DAW users....

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you haven't turned off Cortana, good luck.

I've never had it turned on. I don't know why you would. Microsoft sure lost that battle, along with all the others. It's all Google and Alexa now. How that company is worth so much money is beyond me. They couldn't sell water in a desert.
legendCNCD wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:11 pm Unaccetable to have winupdate rob a lot of CPU when I'm doing audio session, as the fear is this'll affect realtime audio.
What? I have never in my life had any update process interfere with any CPU-intensive task I have ever been using my computer for. Ever. All updates do is download files and move them around in the background. I let all kinds of things do updates while I am working and it's never got in the way, even slightly. NI or Arturia might want me to restart Orion/Cubase when they finish but that's to be expected.
Other thing is I'll boot the machine when I want, not OS thank you. I'm still on Win7SP1 but next machine cannot be for various reasons (of one is old PCI audiocard).
What? Win7 was the worst for rebooting when it felt like it. The most you could do was delay it two hours at a time but eventually it would sneak it in while you were making coffee or something. I lost work plenty of times thanks to that. OTOH, Win10 won't restart outside the hours you tell it it can. e.g. My active hours finish at 1am and Windows will not restart before then unless I tell it to. Even after 1am, it will not restart unless/until the machine is idle. I have never lost any work with Win10 or had anything I've been doing interrupted, beyond a notification that updates are pending. It's all in your head.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Well, there are a lot of reports Win10 update mechanism taking 25-100% CPU (one core at least). I've noticed it on my lowend laptop too.
On Win7 you could say download but let me decide when to install, it never failed aka installed anything without you specifically hitting INSTALL.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Also its not in my head when multiple people have said to lost work when machine was calculating stuff, it still rebooted.
This mechanism almost makes me to look at Apple, but they're lost me since 80's with almost everything being NIH stuff...
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro

legendCNCD wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:12 pm Well, there are a lot of reports Win10 update mechanism taking 25-100% CPU (one core at least). I've noticed it on my lowend laptop too.
On Win7 you could say download but let me decide when to install, it never failed aka installed anything without you specifically hitting INSTALL.
Just turn off search and Cortana and that background bit downloader service. I set them from automatic to manual and make a powershell script to turn them on and off when I need them. The same with all sync services like Dropbox, OneDrive and so on.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

I tend to disable some unneeded services and software that is just useless but might cause potential issues now and then. Still, Windows 10 is pretty solid in this regard.

Also, with modern multicore systems a few services running at 1% of CPU have completely no impact on audio performance. You'd better check hardware drivers.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

telecode wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:25 pm
legendCNCD wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:12 pm Well, there are a lot of reports Win10 update mechanism taking 25-100% CPU (one core at least). I've noticed it on my lowend laptop too.
Just turn off search and Cortana and that background bit downloader service. I set them from automatic to manual and make a powershell script to turn them on and off when I need them. The same with all sync services like Dropbox, OneDrive and so on.
You sure they dont spring up like WinUpdate does all the time if I dont keep it down every 5 minutes?

legendCNCD wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:49 pm You sure they dont spring up like WinUpdate does all the time if I dont keep it down every 5 minutes?
If you have WinUpdate coming up every 5 minutes, something is seriously f***ckd in your OS installation/configuration. You better wipe everything out and start over.
Fernando (FMR)

Yep.

How stupid would that be anyway? To check every 5 minutes for updates? I mean, it's not like Microsoft needs major traffic on their update servers all the time either...

chk071 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:24 pm Yep.

How stupid would that be anyway? To check every 5 minutes for updates? I mean, it's not like Microsoft needs major traffic on their update servers all the time either...
you can change the update checker to check manually. there is a gui interface/check box for that.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

The updater task won't search for updates automatically every 5 minutes though, that rather was my point.

telecode wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:30 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:24 pm Yep.

you can change the update checker to check manually. there is a gui interface/check box for that.
Yes, but nevertheless. Even in automatic mode, Windows Update will check, at most, once a day. At least, that's my perception.

And in manual mode, you may forget to check for too long.
Fernando (FMR)

MeldaProduction wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:58 pm
DevonB wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:11 am ...not bother to remove all the excess bloat and garbage that MS makes you install and everything still runs smoothly on your system? Just curious if it's worth the effort or not?
Personally I'm lazy :). So no, I don't do that, but I usually build my own computers, so... But with laptops, I like Dell high-end stuff, and it doesn't seem to come with a lot of garbage. Anyways, only programs that ARE running are the problem. So personally I'd avoid antiviruses (these are just horrible...), just install one once in a while, let it check everything, and remove it. And other "pseudosecurity" stuff like that. But computers rarely come up with that. If you have stuff like MS Office demo installer, it really doesn't matter imho. I think the most important thing is to buy a good computer from a good manufacturer, not Jing Chi for example (I just made that up :D ). I have very good experiences with Dell and Lenovo.
What!? Really? Never though of this. Are you sure this is a safe way to go? I'm not an lowbrow user but I would be paranoid nevertheless ... haha.
rabbit in a hole

Theres about 100 things I change on any win10 installation for clients, most to get rid of performance issues.
Luckily it's all mostly automated now.
FYI, cortana isn't disabled if you simply choose not to use it on win10 installation. It's still there.
I've noticed on some systems I have to disable Superfetch, Windows Search and Defender temporarily to get disk-heavy operations to complete, as Win10 is dumb as pigs ears about when it's allowed to spam your hard drive for no good reason.
Overall it's a terrible system.

The install is fine, havent done anything to break it (yet). Thing is, if you shutdown the winupdate and its remedier, the remedier will come up inside quite small time again, and tries to start winupdate service too. Winupdate service seems to snatch hell a lot of CPU, or then its BITS. Not sure yet if actually blocking BITS would be the best way...
So I guess shutting it down will trigger the system to spam it up?

But all this user hostility just makes me not want to use it and hang on to Win7 forever :D

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”