Any brave souls tried Catalina on your DAW machine?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The amount of vitriol directed at Apple and Apple users, as always, says more about the source than the target. Deeply insecure people if you ask me. Desperate for validation.

The thing is, I really don't care. I keep a Windows desktop under my desk so I can remote into it for some stuff (Windows admin tools, mostly, but also some firmware updating stuff). I ran Linux on a Sony Vaio before I switched to a Mac laptop in '04. I still do most of my text editing in the terminal, in vim (ok, neovim actually). I run Windows servers for AD, SQL Server, file sharing, etc. I run about a dozen Linux VMs for business, and a half dozen for personal use. I manage a fleet of 400+ Macs, 90+ windows end user machines, 20+ chromebooks, etc. Do you really think I give a flying fsck what OS someone is using? No. I seriously don't care, and it would never enter my mind to berate someone over their choice of OS, or even their desire to upgrade their OS.

I do my music production on my company-provided Mac laptop because I can, and because it's fast, and because I have literally hundreds of Logic Pro X productions that I have no intention of abandoning. But when I ask a useful question, and the trolls come out behaving badly, yeah, I'll call them out in what has obviously shown itself to be a foolish attempt to make them buzz off so the useful discussion can continue.
Last edited by teilo on Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MFXxx wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:32 pm Actually the wife purchased a mac book pro back in 2012. Ended up as a Windows machine due to os compatibility issues and was cheaper to use an existing Windows 7 license in the end.
Don't get me wrong I'm not anti apple. They make great doorstops and look very posh in the stack of books under the coffee table. 👍💕
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:22 pm
MFXxx wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:16 pm The deluge of developer emails, apple must have everyone on their toes. Glad Im an old fashioned windows chap.
I like Windows! They allow me to see the world without the inconvenience of having to leave the house :tu:

I hadn't really thought about non-Apple users also receiving the mails :scared:
I've been dual-booting Mac and Windows (via Bootcamp) since about 2008. I really have no interest in platform-wars, or any such bullshit. Use whatever works best for you to get the job done :tu:

I don't particularly like Apple, and all the bullshit they seem happy to pull. However, I do like their products, and I much prefer using OSX. Add to that Logic Pro and a ton of great iOS music apps. Personally, the value I've had from each of my Apple purchases definitely offsets the premium. All-in-all I'm a pretty happy-camper :tu:

Same here, only I’ve moved further from Windows as time passes because I prefer the options I get from Apple. Would I prefer to see non-Apple prices? Sure, but I won’t get the same software so it’s not going to happen.

It’s weird how often this subject comes out of nowhere and for no good reason. Who does anyone think they are going to convert by hating on Apple? Frankly it’s a waste of breath.

So, returning to the subject, I can report that all the Rogue Amoeba tools I use are now working in Catalina. Looks like Audio Hijack was finally updated today in time for the public release. My AudioHijack was still working with the version of Ace that came with the update to AirFoil, but they've done a fair a mount of overhauling in the officially supported release.

Sonarworks Reference 4 has also been updated, and is fully notarized and working great. I do not use Systemwide because I already have more flexible ways to manage my listening chain, usually either Audio Hijack or SoundSource running Reference as an AU plugin. I don't run it in my DAW because I've rendered a track with it enabled one too many times. (My Adam Sub8 really doesn't like that correction curve added to itself.)

XLD has been updated with a Catalina-ready build, so AAC encoding works again.

I've produced about 30 tracks in Logic Pro X since being on the beta, using Hauptwerk and FabFilter Pro R and C. There was some UI flakiness in Logic Pro for a bit, but as of the GM release, that is now fixed. I've also done a half dozen or so in Bitwig 3 using various synths (Zebra HZ, Thorn, Pigments, and Tal UNO LX if memory serves), and had no issues.

teilo wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:15 pm The amount of vitriol directed at Apple and Apple users, as always, says more about the source than the target. Deeply insecure people if you ask me. Desperate for validation.

The thing is, I really don't care.
The thing is you DO CARE. If you didn't, you wouldn't feel the urge to justify yourself. And you wouldn't feel the urge to try to persuade others to "upgrade" (which is all this talk is about, in the end).

Regarding the "vitriol" directed at Apple, just question yourself why would it exist in the first place. And there isn't any vitriol directed at Apple users (I'm an Apple user myself). There is vitriol directed at Apple fanboys (which is not the same thing).

Now, be happy, and enjoy your new toys. :tu:
Fernando (FMR)

Locking this, since Fernando can't control himself.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”