Any brave souls tried Catalina on your DAW machine?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

teilo wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:30 pm Have any brave souls tried the Catalina beta with their DAW setup yet? I'm curious what common production software has been confirmed functional / non-functional.
[..Typical OT KVR thread..]
teilo wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:53 am For all you who won't be upgrading — good for you. No need to share, thank you very much. The question does not apply to you. Nothing to see here. Move along. If you wish, you can start your own topic titled "Why I won't be upgrading to Catalina."

This topic is for those who ARE upgrading, and what their experiences are.
After the reasonable comment above, we get knights of KVR coming in:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:38 am It's well within the bounds of expected conversation, given the topic question. If you were only interested in one specific tyoe of answer, then you should have made it clearer :tu:
I have to wonder how much clearer the OT's question could be... To me it makes no sense what el-bo writes. But still we get the kicker:
Michael L wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:32 am You da man, el-bo!
:dog:

teilo wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:53 am KVR at its finest. Ask the question "Any brave souls trying Catalina?" and a whole bunch of people jump in to "share" why they won't be using Catalina, and furthermore why upgrading is stupid and no one should do it.

For all you who won't be upgrading — good for you. No need to share, thank you very much. The question does not apply to you. Nothing to see here. Move along. If you wish, you can start your own topic titled "Why I won't be upgrading to Catalina."

It seems like you have an "agenda" here. It seems that you are here to promote Apple, and Apple policies )I'm not judging from this thread, but also fromothers). Bad luck. People here like their independency, and they are very vocal about it.

When you ask: "Any brave souls tried Catalina on your DAW machine?" it seems like you aren't at all involced in music and music production, and you even don't care. If you do, you would be aware thal basically ALL music related product manufactures and programmers advise NOT TO upgrade, for the moment. Yet, it seems like you are "offended" when people are saying they didn't upgrade, and why. Yet, they are simply being reasonable, and prudent.

And I don't see how saying thay aren't upgrading may be considered "off topic". :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:41 am For users best advice: do not upgrade if there is no need for, don‘t even dream of it. Keep the OS save at about 2 versions behind.
This easily makes the very top of stupidest things I've heard or read recently. Keep living in your cave if you like, but please don't advice such things to anyone.

Personally I consider apps that are not made using recent standards and technologies and hence incompatible with recent systems - obsolete. Let them rot in digital hell.

Still - why most of the companies can't even try and let their users know whther their current software at all runs or not on the new OS is way beyond me.

Eclectus wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:52 am
teilo wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:30 pm Have any brave souls tried the Catalina beta with their DAW setup yet? I'm curious what common production software has been confirmed functional / non-functional.
[..Typical OT KVR thread..]
teilo wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:53 am For all you who won't be upgrading — good for you. No need to share, thank you very much. The question does not apply to you. Nothing to see here. Move along. If you wish, you can start your own topic titled "Why I won't be upgrading to Catalina."

After the reasonable comment above, we get knights of KVR coming in:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:38 am It's well within the bounds of expected conversation, given the topic question. If you were only interested in one specific tyoe of answer, then you should have made it clearer :tu:
I have to wonder how much clearer the OT's question could be... To me it makes no sense what el-bo writes. But still we get the kicker:
Michael L wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:32 am You da man, el-bo!
:dog:
It ain't over till some idiot comes along with the commentary. NOW it's a typical KVR thread :tu:

Again! For the mentally-challenged:

If someone asks if others have tried something, it's not unreasonable that they reply with "No, because". And if the op wishes to avoid that situation, it's their responsibility to make it clear that they don't want to hear anything BUT an answer int the affirmative...especially if the op is then gonna come back and cry about how it's so typically KVR blah-blah-f**king-blah.

And for mentally-unchallenged it's pretty clear that rants about why somenoe doesn't want to try the thing OP asked about bring nothing to the discussion.

Johnny! wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:09 am
Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:41 am For users best advice: do not upgrade if there is no need for, don‘t even dream of it. Keep the OS save at about 2 versions behind.
This easily makes the very top of stupidest things I've heard or read recently. Keep living in your cave if you like, but please don't advice such things to anyone.

Personally I consider apps that are not made using recent standards and technologies and hence incompatible with recent systems - obsolete. Let them rot in digital hell.
:nutter:

Maybe you should start to take Apple advertising and marketing with A LOT of salt. The "recent standards and technologies" are already in the OS versions that predates this one, for the simple reason that those are just TWO YEARS and ONE YEAR old. Nothing really important appeared in the last two years.

Regarding the given advice, actually it is a very good one, and one that anyone serious about his music work in the Mac platform should follow.
Last edited by fmr on Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Still - why most of the companies can't even try and let their users know whether their current software at all runs or not on the new OS is way beyond me.
Says an amateur with no professional experience...
Taking the risk of breaking working tools is the most stupid thing you can do if you rely on them for your income...
You can look at every (I bet its 100%) developers who delivers the more expensive tools to professional musicians and producers, though they work on and have in place compatible versions, all advise their customers not to upgrade. Better listen...
There is no benefit for upgrading the OS to Catalina (yet). This might change in two years...

I tend to wait until upgrading OSX until some of my software updates require it as a minimum.
You are currently reading my signature.

Screw it, I'll upgrade in a week or so - it's not hard to figure out what might work and what might not - I think someone even posted the link in this thread to putting Mojave in 64-bit mode to test things out.

I'm not going to hold off from upgrading any longer than I need to. I know Macs don't suffer the same security issues as Windows-based systems, but I'd rather be up to date with patches, etc.

Forgotten wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:03 pmI'm not going to hold off from upgrading any longer than I need to. I know Macs don't suffer the same security issues as Windows-based systems, but I'd rather be up to date with patches, etc.
Definitely one of the advantages of keeping up-to-date :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:05 pm
Forgotten wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:03 pmI'm not going to hold off from upgrading any longer than I need to. I know Macs don't suffer the same security issues as Windows-based systems, but I'd rather be up to date with patches, etc.
Definitely one of the advantages of keeping up-to-date :tu:
I am still in Sierra and I am still receiving patches :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

Forgotten wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:03 pm I think someone even posted the link in this thread to putting Mojave in 64-bit mode to test things out.
It's not 64-bit (OS X is 64-bit for a long time). It's disabling 32-bit support (a different thing, one of the things that will happen in Catalina, and one that, as usual, I can't see what will be the benefits of).

But that's not the only problem that may happen when you install a new version of OS X. Most manufactures advise not to "upgrade" right now for a reason. But it's up to you, of course. If you have the time to create an image of your hard drive, install Catalina, conclude that you can't work with it, and restore the image of your old OS version back, be my guest :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:34 pm
Forgotten wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:03 pm I think someone even posted the link in this thread to putting Mojave in 64-bit mode to test things out.
It's not 64-bit (OS X is 64-bit for a long time). It's disabling 32-bit support (a different thing, one of the things that will happen in Catalina, and one that, as usual, I can't see what will be the benefits of).
Functionally it's exactly the same thing, and I used the phrase "64-bit mode" because it's the one I've seen used most often to describe the process.

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:33 pm

Still - why most of the companies can't even try and let their users know whether their current software at all runs or not on the new OS is way beyond me.
Says an amateur with no professional experience...
Taking the risk of breaking working tools is the most stupid thing you can do if you rely on them for your income...
You can look at every (I bet its 100%) developers who delivers the more expensive tools to professional musicians and producers, though they work on and have in place compatible versions, all advise their customers not to upgrade. Better listen...
There is no benefit for upgrading the OS to Catalina (yet). This might change in two years...
Says professional who in current state of security affairs gives advice to stay two years behind with software. And btw - your knowledge about my experience comes from where exactly?

Anyway - professionals, who live by creating music, have their workstations prepped for music creation and they usually don't care about the latest and greatest. They don't waste their time on such forums either.
But threads like this are usually for hobbyists, who don't want to stay behind, who use their laptop for both casual and music stuff and might want to use latest features and whistle bells - and there is nothing wrong with that.

Anyhow - timeline for various architectural changes in macOS has been known for much longer than Catalina being in beta, it's not like Apple jumped out of nowhere saying "hey guys your stuff is not gonna work in a month". They tend to let know in advance of such things and killing 32bit support is one of them. And thank goodness they do kill it, it's almost 2020 and so many devs still struggle to keep up (because it's always easier to spit out another sample pack and rompler with different skin, using their 10 years old codebase, than refactor some of that codebase to make it more maintainable). Unlike Microsoft, Apple has the guts to cut legacy code, frameworks etc from their systems to keep them lighter but also safer. Back compatibility is the cost, but well - for most of the outdated software there is an alternative that is up-to-date. I support developers that keep their software up-to-date. I don't support lazy devs who can't be bothered to keep up with technology.

PS: I've installed latest Catalina beta, tried Reason 10.4 for a while and everything seemed to work fine. So after couple hours I was able to tell you more than Propellerheads/Reason Studios - that at the very least it runs.

Michael L wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:21 am I don’t understand why the OP isn’t brave enough to install it and then report the results?
The OP did. Read page 2.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”