Any brave souls tried Catalina on your DAW machine?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

maschinelf wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:45 am Thanks, yea I'm pretty certain I downloaded it. Though I think OSes stopped showing as app store purchases after Mavericks. I know it used to work before that you could register an os as a purchase and then download and install it later, sometimeseven after the next os became available, but something apparently changed after Mavericks. I could be wrong about this though. I also have another Mac running Mojave which is with me, so I'll check later to see if Mojave shows as a purchase.
You're right with regard to later OS' not showing as purchases. However, you just need to keep a backup copy of the installer. So, just make sure to download Mojave from the appropriate page on the appstore, before Catalina is released, and you should be good to go. Failing that, I'm pretty sure Apple does have the installers linked elsewhere.

And yes, you absolutely can install it after the next OS drops. The only limitation on OS installation seems to be the inability to downgrade to an OS that is dated earlier than the one currently installed. To safeguard against any issues, clone your current drive before installing Mojave. You could even make a fresh install with the current OS, and clone that. I use SuperDuper for my cloning. It's free, and hasn't let me down in the many years i've been using it.

I believe earlier OSes stopped showing up in the App Store after Yosemite but they are still available through it. You just need the link to the store page. I always keep backups of the installers as well as bootable USB installers for each.

10.11 - 10.12 - 10.13 - 10.14
Image Image Image Image

Great then this was a non-issue to begin with, and I guess I can just download it to the computer I currently have to be certain I have a copy. I should've thought of that, for some reason I just made certain assumptions about what would or would not be possible with regard to downloading on one computer for installation on another.

This iMac will not be seeing Catalina, I think. One thing, besides it breaking a few non-music apps, is the transition from iTunes to 'music.' I will wait and see what that's like, but I really don't see much point in updating its OS. It came with El Cap, I went to Sierra, then to Mojave. There's been a slight hit in speed with each upgrade.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

No Catalina on my machine either; I am quite fond of several 32-bit apps (e.g. Tassman, SPEAR, Evolver editor, Zyklus Improvisor, Mammut, ScalaVista, SoundHack, MSOffice non-sub).
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

mojave still has to be tampered with, SIP off, Spotlight Indexing killed, so I would interrogate the situation more than that move before adopting it, particularly as I don't know what the upside is.

a number of things, such as Final Cut Pro X are technically in the 32-bit category because of legacy code, ie., bits of it are. I don't have any handle on what's supposed to happen and it's not very interesting to me so no.
It may mean nothing but I don't know why I need to update the OS, mojave already a little bit of buyer's remorse and I had a reason.

I know few music producers and composers that still use MacOS 10.6.8
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

10.9 had dropped by the time I abandoned Snow Leopard. There were Kontakt libraries which forced my hand.

I’m on Sierra which has been working well. Ive always figured each new OS comes at a price...like speed and efficiency...and since I like efficiency, I’m not yet sure I want to go to Mojave let alone Catalina.

KVR at its finest. Ask the question "Any brave souls trying Catalina?" and a whole bunch of people jump in to "share" why they won't be using Catalina, and furthermore why upgrading is stupid and no one should do it.

For all you who won't be upgrading — good for you. No need to share, thank you very much. The question does not apply to you. Nothing to see here. Move along. If you wish, you can start your own topic titled "Why I won't be upgrading to Catalina."

This topic is for those who ARE upgrading, and what their experiences are.

teilo wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:53 am KVR at its finest. Ask the question "Any brave souls trying Catalina?" and a whole bunch of people jump in to "share" why they won't be using Catalina, and furthermore why upgrading is stupid and no one should do it.

For all you who won't be upgrading — good for you. No need to share, thank you very much. The question does not apply to you. Nothing to see here. Move along. If you wish, you can start your own topic titled "Why I won't be upgrading to Catalina."

This topic is for those who ARE upgrading, and what their experiences are.
It's well within the bounds of expected conversation, given the topic question. If you were only interested in one specific tyoe of answer, then you should have made it clearer :tu:

I don’t understand why the OP isn’t brave enough to install it and then report the results?
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:21 am I don’t understand why the OP isn’t brave enough to install it and then report the results?
Yup! On OSX it's so easy to make bootable partitions that he might as well set up his own tests. If it doesn't work out, then he's lost nothing.

I actually might do that, myself. I could keep installing all my software as it gets cleared for compatibility. Eventually, when everything is working it would just become the main os.

You da man, el-bo!
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:32 am You da man, el-bo!
Not really! I just remembered that the op did actually end up trying it, as he'd pointed to me towards comoatibility issues with critical plugins that I own :tu:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”