Focusrite's ASIO drivers allow Windows to use the sound when in DAW, ASIO4ALL doesn't, does Audient's ASIO drivers ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When I'm in my DAW with the Focusrite 2i2 I can open up the Chrome browser and play a Youtube video.
When I am using another sound card, with ASIO4ALL, its make the DAW exclusive and Windows can't use the sound (unless I manually switch over by using the tray icon)

I am thinking of buying an Audient id14. I am wondering if their drivers make the DAW exclusive or not?
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

i thought most all DAWs now allow you to release the audio to background. check your options :) cheers

p.s. as for ASIO4ALL... i have found it to be very inconsistent and unstable but maybe because it allows the use of multiples?
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

There's a few things going on:

ASIO only allows you to use one ASIO device at a time.
ASIO isnt a driver standard that is part of the OS.
Chrome isnt using ASIO, its using regular drivers that are part of the OS
ASIO4All sits 'on top' of regular OS drivers, which sometimes prevents other software from using them.

So you entirely could get the same behaviour with the Audient or something else.

However; you've described two sets of behaviours, but not why either of them would specifically be a problem. Can you tell us what behaviour you need?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:42 pm However; you've described two sets of behaviours, but not why either of them would specifically be a problem. Can you tell us what behaviour you need?
Thanks... what I would need is to be able to fire up a Youtube video and jam along with it in my DAW at the same time.
With ASIO4ALL this is not possible.
I've looked at routing plugins like ASIO4ALL+Banana*something* but didn't work out too well.

MasterTuner wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:55 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:42 pm However; you've described two sets of behaviours, but not why either of them would specifically be a problem. Can you tell us what behaviour you need?
Thanks... what I would need is to be able to fire up a Youtube video and jam along with it in my DAW at the same time.
With ASIO4ALL this is not possible..
But you've said it is possible with your Focusrite, am I correct?

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:20 pm But you've said it is possible with your Focusrite, am I correct?
Yes, it possible with the Focusrite I borrowed from work this weekend.
My regualr sound card is a Beringher UM2 which uses ASIO4ALL, and thats where my restriction is.
I am either going to buy a Focusrite on Black Friday, or an Audient id14.

MasterTuner wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:29 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:20 pm But you've said it is possible with your Focusrite, am I correct?
Yes, it possible with the Focusrite I borrowed from work this weekend.

My regualr sound card is a Beringher UM2 which uses ASIO4ALL, and thats where my restriction is.
Ah; you didnt mention the Focusrite was borrowed. Makes sense now.

Just found this post. I have an Audient ID14 with the latest drivers and am having issues with running ASIO and playing YouTube while also running Ableton Live 10. Small world. If you find an answer, definitely let me know (thanks in advance).

Actually scratch that. I figured it out. Was just checking Audient's support site and they said that the block usually occurs from different settings in DAW and the Windows sound control panel. Changed the Audient playback settings to match the sample rate of my DAW and viola it works!

There is a 3rd party driver called Asio Link Pro, that would allow you to route youtube audio into any asio daw.

I think it was discontinued, doesnt mean no one has it in stock.....
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”