32Gb or 64Gb

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just ordered a 2019 27” i9
with upgradable memmory

So now i need to get some memmory should i get 32GB ( 2x16+2x4) for a total of 40 or 64 Gb (4x16)?

I will be mostly using it as a live rig, tough lots of samples (omnisphere, keyscape, kontakt) but also u-he stuff .. never more then 16 vst’s at the same time.. for keys and small backings... will be doing some preloading tough..

My current macbook is 16GB, and keeps running short on memmory

A set of 32 GB can be picked up tomorrow(1 left)
A set of 64GB takes a few days delivery..

In your shoes I would go for the 4 x 16.

My one big fail on my latest box was not getting 64Gb. I absolutely fill 32Gb (Win10 tries really hard to keep far too much free, too) and then some. I was hoping the use of SSDs for both drives would mean it wasn't a problem - but the data is still compressed on disk, so unless there's space to load it, it uses up CPU each time it gets read afresh... You've a faster CPU than I have, so it might be less of an issue...

Thanks, so 64GB it is..

Also getting a 2TB SSD..
have found someone experienced willing to open the imac and place the €240 SSD
Sadly there is only roon for 1 drive in the case

You must have roadies to carry a 27“ on stage... Its still smaller than Keith Emersons (or anyones) modular though...

Kontakt's streaming from disk works perfectly though and i think it's better than loading the samples in the RAM. 16 VST's is nothing. 16 GB RAM should more than suffice in this scenario. RAM prices are cheap however (currently).
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”