OSX - Aggregate audio interfaces - problems?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just got a wild idea to pump all outputs of my mixer straight into my Macbook - and rather than going out buying some crazy specced audio interface for crazy money, I thought about creating an aggregate device consisting of 2-3 audio interfaces.

Now before I do that, I'd just like to ask the collective intelligence here what kind of experiences you have with aggregating different audio interfaces. If you record a hihat into a MOTU interface and a kick into a RME interface, will there be wonky sync / phase issues?

What's your experience with this functionality? I used it a couple of times, but never with soundcards running at the same time.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

I have run into sample rate issues when aggregating audio interfaces, which can cause pops and clicks, if the two interfaces aren't synced via wordclock, ADAT or S/PDIF. YMMV, others I have talked to say they haven't noticed such issues. If your RME and MOTU interfaces have wordclock I/O, then you should be set.

Not on mac but on windows I have done 4-track recordings with two SoundBlasters using CoolEditPro. It was smooth sailing, nearly twenty years ago.

Just try it. The theoretical sync issues might solved by the mac itself.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Thanks both of you. Yes, I think some real hands experiments is the only way to find out. I've been reading about users experiences on the net and it ranges all the way from zero problems to lots of problems. Seem also to depend on the software you use it with!

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”