After windows reinstall - why does the reaction times get so fast?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Check this out: https://www.howtogeek.com/171633/why-us ... x-crashes/

There are dozens of articles like that on the net, so, it's more or less common knowledge that registry cleaners are sort of fake magicians. And also that a bloated registry won't slow down your Windows.

If i had to guess then i would say that such stuff has been spread by people who propagate Unix-based OS's.

do_androids_dream wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:34 am
Mathematics wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:05 am Bertkoor hit the nail on the head. Because you're wiping out invalid registry keys that accumulate over time. There are numerous other reasons but the extra keys is usually the culprit. Run CCleaner every month and you'll decrease the chances of your system slowing down over time.
No, there is absolutely no need to use 'registry cleaners'. They do way more harm than good and can easily break your windows install if you don't know what you're doing. (...)
I agree!

BTW, for anyone interested, Windows 10 registry/DLL stuff is more
well behaved than the version 7.
Sadly Windows 10 is more bloated, but this may help:
- https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
- https://www.oo-software.com/en/ooappbuster
Last edited by Pictus on Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[edit] nevermind ...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:09 pm [edit] nevermind ...
No, i don't consider the amount of articles about it as the ultimate proof. :D (If that's what your post was about :P)

I was going to say (after having read the article halfway) that a registry key that orders the loading of a non-existant file on startup can cause a slowdown of several seconds on booting. Second half of the article said something simular, so nevermind.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Anyway, for the record...we don't actually know why the OP's system ran so much better after a reinstall. For all we know, he could have originally installed a software that was later updated to run more efficiently. That may have been the issue from the start. In this case, it had nothing to do with the registry or services.

Also, small file clutter on a mechanical drive slows downs reads from storage dramatically as opposed to SSDs. So, there's that.

FTR, don't used cracked software guys. Lol. Looking back at the conversation and the debate about registry cleaners...should you run a registry cleaner? Unless your system system is running so bad on a mechanical drive, to the point that you are ready to do a system restore but want a last stand for a system boost, probably not, especially if you're running an SSD. I only gave advice for the general user to maintain system speed with something that can potentially maintain system speed. If it never worked, why has it been around for so long...so much so that the company now offers a subscription for it? It's all relative...if you need it, it's there. If it doesn't work, just restore the system back a day. Let's get back to making music.

OP...I'm glad you have a speedier system. We're all happy for you. Maybe now, you can tell us what you've noticed makes it run so much speedier.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Suffered from this most of my Windows life.

Had to schedule in routine normally 12 monthly reinstalls just to keep Windows fresh. It became such a thing that I'd be really specific about what software and plugins and usage I used the system for as I like to find the cause of things but never got to the bottom of why Windows does this.

In the end moved to Mac and don't suffer this issue at all with Mac OS but still interested into why this happens with Windows. Would love to get a second system going back up for Samplitude again.

The contradictory answers we get on this issue all boils down to: Because voodoo.

This is one of many reasons why I don’t use Windows or PCs any more.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Coxy wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:16 pm Had to schedule in routine normally 12 monthly reinstalls just to keep Windows fresh. It became such a thing that I'd be really specific about what software and plugins and usage I used the system for as I like to find the cause of things but never got to the bottom of why Windows does this.
Totally agree, Windows 10 is better with the option to refresh.
It helps with losing activations or having to reactivate IK Multimedia and similar products after resetting over-provisioning after a quick format/erase of a SSD.

A better option (Windows 7 et al) might be to make a backup of a fresh install with all the core apps installed and registered, with drives trimmed defragged, etc.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

BertKoor wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:23 pm Central in Windows is The Registry. You cannot even blink your eyes without The Registry being consulted a thousand times.
It's one file (I think) being a database.
After a zillion small data rewrites it becomes sluggish.

A defrag util for The Registry (not just a cleaner) would be handy...
They exist. I believe Wises registry cleaner does this.
But as mentioned, the impact is (relatively) low.

I don't tend to have slowdown issues. See guides below.

refreshed system would be snappier per se unless a problem occurs

I tested my original install and new install. Not much difference noticed on 1TB ssd... Original install is from 2013 and is audio/gaming ready.
On HDD's the HDD will never be as fast even if you reinstall windows/osx all the time, HDD will be slowing down in use.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”