Windows 7 to Windows 10 - impact on music software

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi, I'm preparing to upgrade / install Windows 10 on my Windows 7 PC.

I'm wondering if that changes the Computer's ID/ name and whether that will cause authorisation issues with my software. I think I'm safe with software where the licence is on a dongle (e.g ilok for Eventide etc and elicenser for Cubase)??? But I'm wondering if there are likely to be any other issues.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

If you do the regular upgrade (installing over the already installed Windows 7), everything will remain authorized and ready to use. At least that was my experience, in the machines I performed the upgrade.
Last edited by fmr on Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

huzzah! thanks

Glad that worked for you, I've had a 6 week nightmare of reauthorizing, version skew, incompatibilities, etc.

My situation was different though: I had a 12 year old system running Windows 7 64 bit (at the end) which finally began failing to boot. I knew this would happen someday and had things pretty much 100% backed up. I took out the old hard drive which was still ok and put it in the hot swap SATA bay of the new system.

I bought a new rackmount system based on an ASUS Z370 running Windows 10. Most of my problems were 32 vs 64 bit, since I had a lot of older and discontinued plugins that many projects used (Dimension Pro, Synth1, Reason 4, BFD3, Ozone 3). Some of them thank goodness have been released as 64 bit versions but ultimately I currently have to run both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Ableton Live 9.7

I could go on for hours about all the ramifications of this (e.g. Omnisphere support) but it would bore most people.

The nastiest thing that happened was that a loop/sample pack from Loopmasters got stuck on the old drive, since unbeknownst to me it installed the wav files as encrypted, so as far as they were concerned they were trying to be read on an alien system. I'm still working with the vendor to see if they will provide the original installer to me, since that is one thing I lost.

with some customers the upgrade was really smooth. but when i had the situation i made a clean format and installed from a fresh win 10 install
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Backup (image)
De-auth and uninstall all plugins and DAW(s) and other software with copy protection
Wipe drive (or, better, it's a perfect time to buy a new SSD)
Install Win10 fresh
Re-install

Yes, it takes time. But time is a lot less stressful (usually) than inheriting any "digital plaque" and incompatibilities etc with an upgrade.

I've upgraded MSFT OSes before. Needless to say, even when I bought a new computer, I bought a new license of Windows 10 and installed everything fresh. It's just not worth the hassle in the long run to upgrade over the top. To me.

always backup, but me I had no issue whatsoever, other than my focusrite drivers (the default on the website and otehrs did not work at all for some reason, I had to find Focusrite Control 2.1.9 and it installed driver USB version 4.36.6.0 for it to work)

Just seeing this is coming back up.

I made the change - no problems. The only thing that stopped working was Emulator X3 as a plugin - and it's never been reliable before anyway.

i got forced to that change, due to a mainboard crackdown, via buying a very cheap pc with win10 for the timethe time til i built my new one from scratch. havent had any probs to start my old progs so far.
renoise and bitwig started without an installation process at all - from the former system harddisc now running as a standard usb drive.
asio drivers worked fine too. sound is all good so far. some progs are somehow more responsive. just a feeling tho.

dont upgrade, just install win10. then run a "shutup10" and a "debloat win10" script - or buy the win10 ltsc versions. you will find both infos on youtube.on top of it you can go thru services and disable them, if not used...for convenience use the "openshell" tool to get a more win7 like start ui.

voila pretty fast and reliable win10.
one manko is, that evry update win10 will reinstall some apps according to the youtubers infos.

and yes reauthoring is another story. i wouldnt recommend any automation on tha topic anyway. its even no prob if one gets a halfway professional datamanagement for all that logins and passwords done beforehand (the good ol excel way and PRINTED OUT on an oldschool sheet of paper^^).
Last edited by anttimaatteri on Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A similar post here viewtopic.php?f=74&t=536858

A few handy tweaks to make Windows 10 more like Windows 7
Classic shell
Easy service optimiser or similar.
Disable Cortana gpedit or registry
Quick launch reinstated
Remove apps with O&O AppBuster (not store)
Autoruns Portable
Last edited by The Noodlist on Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

vitocorleone123 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:05 pm Backup (image)
De-auth and uninstall all plugins and DAW(s) and other software with copy protection
Wipe drive (or, better, it's a perfect time to buy a new SSD)
Install Win10 fresh
Re-install

Yes, it takes time. But time is a lot less stressful (usually) than inheriting any "digital plaque" and incompatibilities etc with an upgrade.

I've upgraded MSFT OSes before. Needless to say, even when I bought a new computer, I bought a new license of Windows 10 and installed everything fresh. It's just not worth the hassle in the long run to upgrade over the top. To me.
This is the proper method. Esp note on deauthorizing plugins on the current system BEFORE trying to install on the new. More so for ilok software licenses but you may have others too.

The new hardware could change your 'fingerprint' and thus identify as a new computer.

Think of it as a forced spring cleaning. You can declutter your VST folder and what software you use. Simplify a bit.

The Noodlist wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:04 pm A similar post here viewtopic.php?f=74&t=536858

A few handy tweaks to make Windows 10 more like Windows 7
Classic shell
Easy service optimiser or similar.
Disable Cortana gpedit or registry
Quick launch reinstated
Remove apps with O&O AppBuster (not store)
Autoruns Portable
But why? It will be even more processes loaded that all need it's CPU and memory footprint.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:56 am But why? It will be even more processes loaded that all need it's CPU and memory footprint.
Why. bloatware apps running in the background, start menu that's not very intuitive. Telemetry that's snooping.

Classic shell requires installation, the quick launch is a toolbar shortcut. the others are run once portable applications.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”