External Drive - Samples/OS questions

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just received a external SSD USB 3 Drive - Lexar SL100

I would like to put my Logic and Kontakt Libraries on it.

A couple of questions:

-is "up to 480 mb/s transfer" reasonable speed?

-I am currently on OSX Sierra. I would like to put Mojave OS on the drive as a secondary start-up disk as well to test it out ...should I create two folders the drive for OS and samples? Or should it be partitioned?

Is "up to 480 mb/s" reasonable?
A whole cd-rom that plays 72 minutes of audio, is about 700mb and would be transferred in one and a half second. A DVD with some hours of video is 4.8 gb, transferred in ten seconds. Obviously not from disk to disk. .

Whopping fast if you ask me. And I think this is the max bandwith USB3 can do anyway. But you won't ever see those rates in practice. There's always stuff slowing it down considerately.

Don't mix OS and data, so better partition it.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:39 am Is "up to 480 mb/s" reasonable?
A whole cd-rom that plays 72 minutes of audio, is about 700mb and would be transferred in one and a half second. A DVD with some hours of video is 4.8 gb, transferred in ten seconds. Obviously not from disk to disk. .

Whopping fast if you ask me. And I think this is the max bandwith USB3 can do anyway. But you won't ever see those rates in practice. There's always stuff slowing it down considerately.

Thanks Bert. Partition it is.

And, yeah, I'm not seeing the whopping fast speeds - though they do say "up to..."

The Mojave boot up time on the external SSD doesn't seem to be much faster than my laptop hard drive running Sierra... :? I've always heard of super fast SSD start-up times...somewhat disappointing... :(

Internal you have SSD already? I think external is always slower. But external SSD compared to internal HD - that is a good one for the bookmakers, hard to predict.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:17 pm Internal you have SSD already? I think external is always slower. But external SSD compared to internal HD - that is a good one for the bookmakers, hard to predict.
No, it's just a regular old 5400 HD...with USB 3 ports...Maybe the Lexar SSD just isn't very fast, but they can still claim that "up to #" on the box is right...

festeringheap wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:11 pm
BertKoor wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:39 am Is "up to 480 mb/s" reasonable?

Thanks Bert. Partition it is.

And, yeah, I'm not seeing the whopping fast speeds - though they do say "up to..."

The Mojave boot up time on the external SSD doesn't seem to be much faster than my laptop hard drive running Sierra... :? I've always heard of super fast SSD start-up times...somewhat disappointing... :(
I just went back to High Sierra from Mojave. Mojave was too darn slow. I’m using an external SSD, and Mojave reformatted it to the new Apple indexing format, which I read somewhere screws with the SSD speed. I encountered a lot of crap stepping back to HS, one being I had to use terminal to reformat my SSD (Dusk Utility wouldn’t allow it), along with a host of other wonderful items, but I’m glad I did.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”