Windows 10 Build 1903 Update (Issues and Fixes - May 2019 release)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I deactivated iLok then reactivated them after the update, easy peasy. Every Tracktion product needed re-auth as usual. eLicenser needed an update. XLN installer updated AD2 and AK but was otherwise fine.

I needed to update eLicenser. iLok was plugged in, but worked fine after running the license manager.

I had more problems with my laptop, which didn't have anything plugged into it. It took a few reboots and a little tinkering to get it running right.

ew
A spectral heretic...

1903 still won't connect to my Linux CIFS shares from one of my PCs. It can see the server but not the shares. None of the suggested fixes has worked, so it looks like I'll be stuck with 1803 on that PC from now on.

pljones wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:17 pm 1903 still won't connect to my Linux CIFS shares from one of my PCs. It can see the server but not the shares. None of the suggested fixes has worked, so it looks like I'll be stuck with 1803 on that PC from now on.
This is a major issue if it effects everyone. Cant find any info on this from elsewhere. Does it only affect certain PC's with 1903 or all of them? What version of Samba do you use?

The only problem with shares I can remember is the default of the new SMB2 protocol which will not work with some clients. But if it's working with 1803 it should also work with 1903 because the update doesn't change the SMB settings.. anyway, the protocol version can be changed with a checkmark at "support for SMB 1.0" (Windows features settings and a reboot is recommended).
Last edited by 4damind on Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cnt wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:55 pm This is a major issue if it effects everyone.
It surely only affects the 1 or 2 % of home PC users which use Linux. And, the 1 or 2 % of those home PC users which use Linux, which network their computers with Windows PC's. Hardly something you could call a "major issue".

chk071 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:10 pm
cnt wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:55 pm This is a major issue if it effects everyone.
It surely only affects the 1 or 2 % of home PC users which use Linux. And, the 1 or 2 % of those home PC users which use Linux, which network their computers with Windows PC's. Hardly something you could call a "major issue".
I think you misunderstand the impact, if this is true.

Since 2016 Linux-kernel based OS's are more common online than Windows. Remember, we are not talking about Linux as desktop OS.

Microsoft Windows (kernel): 36.84% Apple: 18.46% Linux kernel: 40.41%
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_sha ... ng_systems

The majority of SAN's are Linux based - yes, even the ones made for small office/home usage.
And why do you only think of "home PC users"? Things affecting enterprise users aren't "major"? :)

A lot of companies use Linux-based backup systems / SAN's - including studios.
Billions of users have hardware running Linux at home. SANs, Raspbarries running fileservers, Media Centers, Surveillance cameras, etc. Many of them are actually using CIFS/Samba.
Not to mention that Android is based on the Linux-kernel aswell, and it is also being used by alot of IoT's.

If it is true, MS will surely be sending out a fix. I doubt it is true though.

Let's say only 1-2% are affected, that is still billions of users. :wink:

Are you sure you don't confuse Windows 10 with Windows Server?

cnt wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:54 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:10 pm
Billions of users ...

Let's say only 1-2% are affected, that is still billions of users. :wink:
Billions? :scared: Of Linux users?!?

cnt wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:55 pm
pljones wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:17 pm1903 still won't connect to my Linux CIFS shares from one of my PCs. It can see the server but not the shares. None of the suggested fixes has worked, so it looks like I'll be stuck with 1803 on that PC from now on.
This is a major issue if it effects everyone. Cant find any info on this from elsewhere. Does it only affect certain PC's with 1903 or all of them? What version of Samba do you use?
On 1809, it only affected one of my two PCs. That's the machine that's had the 1903 version attempted and rolled back to 1803. I've yet to have time to try the machine successfully running 1809.

There's various threads about it on Microsoft forums:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... progeneral
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/ ... d-p/382540

Samba is 4.7.6 and I'm seeing SMB 3.11 successfully used (from Win10 1803 and 1809 machines):

Code: Select all

Samba version 4.7.6-Ubuntu
PID     Username     Group        Machine                                   Protocol Version  Encryption           Signing          
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
22902   nobody       nogroup      192.168.x.x (ipv4:192.168.x.x:49709)      SMB3_11           -                    -                
4damind wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:04 pmanyway, the protocol version can be changed with a checkmark at "support for SMB 1.0" (Windows features settings and a reboot is recommended).
This has no effect at all.

For Ryzen systems reports are performance is better. Microsoft updated thread scheduler to take advantage of the way Ryzen works. https://www.windowslatest.com/2019/06/1 ... rovements/
Windows 10 version 1903 comes with updated Windows scheduler to work better with AMD’s hardware. In previous versions, Windows 10’s scheduler has been found to be affecting the performance of AMD Ryzen CPUs.

Microsoft and AMD have been working on fixing these problems. A Scheduler update for Windows is part of Windows 10 version 1903 and it includes improvements that will allow Windows 10 to utilise the characteristics of Ryzen in a better way.

Microsoft’s update will change the way the system allows the scheduler to interact with Ryzen CPUs. It is part of Microsoft and AMD’s efforts to make Windows 10 more aware of the Ryzen design and core topology.

These changes will cut latency and improve improvement by allowing the process threads to stick to single core complex. It will also allow Windows 10 to utilize the aggressive clock speed boost and improve the system’s performance.

Update from 1809 to 1903 (i.e. the PC that didn't have problems with 1809) also didn't have problems with networking with 1903. Only one hitch so far -- my nanoKontrol midi driver needed a regedit hack to get it working again. (MIDI-OX and the Korg editor can't see it, so I guess I need the same hackery down the 32bit registry. [edit]Yes, both 32 and 64 bit regedits needed running, same fix to both.[/edit])
https://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/index ... 19-update/
No only what it says here, but also making sure there's a Drivers entry for each driver, and that the Alias is unique.

Just noticed MOTU CueMix FX not loading or extremely slow. Connected to Traveler MK1.
Might even be loading but not visible.
Comodo internet security also on the blink.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Update: At least for me, the May 1903 Update being pushed through here in July/August is running much more stable. The only thing I had to do was update my Steinberg UR22 driver and disable the Waves Soundgrid driver. Originally, I wasn't able to do that before.

If you happen to get the push notification from MS for the update, I suggest making an image of the system drive before updating as a precaution.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”