Windows 10 Build 1903 Update (Issues and Fixes - May 2019 release)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Unless you've successfully updated to this build, then keep reading.

Just a friendly bit of advice if you're thinking about updating to Windows build 1903 (May/June2019 release). If you do, I strongly suggest to image your system drive with either of the following sofware before updating:

Macrium Reflect Free (or paid Home edition) - free or non-subscription
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Acronis True Image - subscription
https://www.acronis.com/en-us/lp/person ... oMQAvD_BwE

Sergei Strelec's WinPE for Windows - free (thanks Pictus for posting this)
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/detail ... winpe.html

Here are several things that may be useful to you.
  • 1. Image the system drive.
  • 2. Remove all USB and iLok devices from your computer before updating.
  • 3. Do backup of your project files.
The updater does not prompt you to remove all USB drives before updating, upon which time the updater could present you with a generic message that the update failed with the following link "click here for more details..." That link takes you to a discussion about 1903 failures, and one of the leading causes is because the computer has removable USB storage thumb drives connected to it. So, you have to go through 10-20 minutes of analysis before finding this out. So yea...

After the installation, you can do a rollback if the update isn't completely compatible. Here's the thing, only AFTER you've installed the update and then initiate a rollback to the previous version, do you get the warning that if you perform a rollback, you will have to reinstall some applications. So, again...no initial warning so that you can do an initial image or backup in case the rollback fails. It's like MS wants you to risk corrupting your system. So, yea...they don't tell you anything about the limitations of being able to restore your system back the way it was.

On the same note, if you're a regular PC user, with no technical software tools, the only solution you'd have IF the rollback was not completely successful, would be to do a clean restore of Windows. Perhaps this is Microsoft's way of getting people to do clean installs of the latest version of Windows, by corrupting the previous installation. I doubt it, but the lack of multiple warnings makes this all seem suspicious.

I am passing on this advice from a negative experience with the current update to 1903. This is NOT to say that it will happen to you because there are many of us who do NOT have issues with the update. In fact, it's a good update which has a lot of security updates and improvements for AMD users and it IS advisable to take advantage of it. Needless to say, I updated and had to do a rollback which left my system with a small limp. Fortunately, I run Macrium and restored my system to its previous state which took about 5 minutes. I have all my projects on a separate drive, so I lost nothing, which is why I suggested to image the system drive and backup your projects before running the update.

SYMPTOMS some of on this thread have experienced:

Soundgrid initiates some kind of installation process and just hangs upon reboot or starting any of these three DAWs - Live, Pro Tools, Digital Performer. The Microsoft rep said I wasn't the only person mentioning Ableton Live and Waves.

Steinberg interfaces/USB drivers may need to be reinstalled

Software/licenses deactivate and this includes eLicensors, XLN products...so far that is what was mentioned in this thread. It's probably safe to say there are more.

Network break between Windows PC and Linux Common Internet File System:
See here: viewtopic.php?p=7428664#p7428664

nanoKontrol midi driver affected: see here viewtopic.php?p=7431479#p7431479

MOTU CueMix FX not loading or extremely slow

Latency spikes
See here: https://www.tenforums.com/performance-m ... -hits.html

As always, take this with a grain of salt but take preemptive measures against a possible unsuccessful update. I'm sure there are MANY image software programs out there for PC that can be suggested, but the two that I personally have faith in, have tried, and will continue to support, are Macrium and Acronis.

I will try to update this to provide a summary here at the top, of the issues and fixes mentioned in this thread.
Last edited by Mathematics on Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Is there anyway I can change windows 10 on my laptop to windows 8.1 at least windows 8 updates have never been so destructive, counter productive and problematic as windows10

I remember a time when Microsoft would grant a courtesy downgrade if you bought a branded laptop, like Dell, HP, and similar. If you call them now, they say you have to go through the distributing company previously mentioned. I called Dell and they said they don't do that anymore. You could try with your laptop manufacturer if it isn't Dell. Let us know how it goes.

surreal wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:00 am Is there anyway I can change windows 10 on my laptop to windows 8.1 at least windows 8 updates have never been so destructive, counter productive and problematic as windows10
I wished people wouldn't generalize that way about everything. It is unlikely that you even eoncounter this, or another problem in the update. I manage 3 different computers, and only had small niggles with Windows 10 updates. It's just that, if it's written on the net, and a couple of people report it, it becomes that massive WOW, EVERYONE HAS IT! stuff, which lacks any real application.

Feel free to downgrade to Windows 8 of course...

surreal wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:00 am Is there anyway I can change windows 10 on my laptop to windows 8.1 at least windows 8 updates have never been so destructive, counter productive and problematic as windows10
If you want (I mean I wouldn't, but yes there is) - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... d/windows8

BTW, the issue isn't this update, it's Microsoft's update policy. If they only would do major updates every 2 years, then there wouldn't be bigger issues, developers could test without stress, Microsoft could develop and test without stress, and everything would be in order. Unfortunately they need to cater to the "WOWZERS! They changed the corners on the program windows!!!" new-is-shiny crew, which unfortunately is very prominent these days, so, we all have to live with this hectic update policy, which leaves no room for decent development. Shame that a few idiots which are very vocal always have to spoil it for everyone. That's why we have those big version numbers on web browsers as well. New and shiny is awesome, so, we will have Chrome version 100 soon. Coz new version is awesome by default. Yo.

Mathematics wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:23 am Here's a link to Macrium Reflect Free: https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
At viewtopic.php?f=16&t=201085&start=195 we have Strelec boot USB with a lot of tools including Macrium.

Well, I'm ok with improvements. The only suggestion I offered, is just to be safe and image the system drive, that's all. People that blow things out of proportion usually don't know enough to fix issues that are easily resolved with imaging the system drive; they go into a panic and start worrying everyone else. There's definitely no need for that. Even Microsoft knows that disk imaging is a good solution. In fact, since Windows ME, "create a restore point" is kind of like creating a small image of the current state of the registry and installed program files. Although, I have had Windows Restore fail maybe twice in all the years I've used Windows, I run the paid version of Macrium which creates a full image and then incremental images of the changes on a daily basis. So, if something goes awry, I just turn the clock back with a previous image and any nightmare is reversed. This has NEVER failed me in all the years I've been using disk imaging.

Anyway, Microsoft did say over the phone that they're working on a more stable update and that it will be integrated in the 1903 build...so the same build but better. Meanwhile, update away boys, just wear protection.

Pictus wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:01 am
Mathematics wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:23 am Here's a link to Macrium Reflect Free: https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
At viewtopic.php?f=16&t=201085&start=195 we have Strelec boot USB with a lot of tools including Macrium.
Yep...less issues when you know what you're doing and experienced. :tu:

The suggestions are wise and useful, I have also updated 3 PC's to 1903 witout any issue and think its a pretty good update. :tu:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Mathematics wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:19 am Well, I'm ok with improvements. The only suggestion I offered, is just to be safe and image the system drive, that's all. People that blow things out of proportion usually don't know enough to fix issues that are easily resolved with imaging the system drive; they go into a panic and start worrying everyone else. There's definitely no need for that.
That's fair enough, yet, you can see that some people react on such things by deciding to downgrade to a former OS. Even though it might not even affect them at all.

Anyway, i probably get smited for that by someone again anyway, so, i better get out of this thread quickly.

In this build (1903) - is the file explorer, finally, dark when turning on dark mode ?

sfd wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:11 pm In this build (1903) - is the file explorer, finally, dark when turning on dark mode ?
Should be the case since [at least] v1809 (that's when I switched to 'dark mode' and Explorer also matched the colour choice)

mcbpete wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:21 pm
sfd wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:11 pm In this build (1903) - is the file explorer, finally, dark when turning on dark mode ?
Should be the case since [at least] v1809 (that's when I switched to 'dark mode' and Explorer also matched the colour choice)
Strange - that's not the case on my Windows 10 box running 1809. Or, maybe it's not 1809. Maybe it's 1803 (if there are sucyh build). Now I'm confused.

I've not seen anything in updates for a new build. Where do I upgrade to a new build? Sorry I'm not really a Windows user. I only use it for my DAW.

The update went quite smoothly. There are the usual problems with Steinberg interfaces/USB drivers that need to be reinstalled. But this is a problem with Steinberg/Yamaha.
What I've read and what everyone should know by now: Connected USB memory/drives are problematic and the new sandbox doesn't seem to work.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”