Mac Pro is back...

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

justin3am wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:18 pm One of the 12-core (dual 6-core Xeon) MacPros I put together for work in 2012 was about $32k, if I remember right. The current pricing doesn't seem out of line with the MacPros I've gotten in the past. I've also ordered $30k Dell and HP workstations.

That said, I'm currently using a 2018 6-core MacMini which is running my largest projects without breaking a sweat. I'm not sure if I will need a MacPro again in the near future.
What CPU are you using,i5,i7? how much memory?

3.2Ghz i7 8700b with 32GB of RAM.

Keep in mind that this model uses the T2 security chipset which can cause issues with USB audio. I use an AVB interface over ethernet, so I'm not bothered.

h2ogun99 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:38 pmI have a Nvidia GTX 1070 installed in my 2010 Mac Pro (5,1) running flawlessly. Nvidia has been making Mac specific drivers for a good while now with regular-ish updates. Theses older Mac Pros (4,1 / 5,1) can run Mojave and beyond with new cards installed, breathing even more life into 9 year old machines. This 12-core Mac Pro is the best investment I've ever made on a computer. Yes, I paid 7k for it back in the day, but 9 years later I've yet to entertain getting a new machine. It is still a beast.
My last work machine was a 2012 MacPro with an nVidia Quadro card in it. It had trouble drawing web pages in a browser. It was an absolute joke compared to the performance of the same board in a PC so if nVidia are writing drivers (IT takes care of all that and we users are locked out), they are almost certainly doing it without any help from Apple. We could install CUDA but it never worked properly.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:09 am My last work machine was a 2012 MacPro with an nVidia Quadro card in it. It had trouble drawing web pages in a browser. It was an absolute joke compared to the performance of the same board in a PC so if nVidia are writing drivers (IT takes care of all that and we users are locked out), they are almost certainly doing it without any help from Apple. We could install CUDA but it never worked properly.
That does sound frustrating. I can only speak for me and my machine, but it has been fantastic over the near 2 years (geesh, seemed like a week ago) it has been running. No time to go over the details, however, video editing with Premiere/Resolve has met or exceeded my expectations. Overall, I can't complain.

h2ogun99 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:23 pm HA! I think Apple dropped the ball in not allowing you to see all of the RGBs lights on the fans and graphics cards. At least they could have added a clear side panel. Nothing screams Pro like a pulsing rainbow of colors on your keyboard and mouse...hehehe.
All it would take is a one minute voice-over from Jony Ive.
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

So how about that $999 stand? :lol:
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

AsPeeXXXVIII wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:28 am So how about that $999 stand? :lol:
There's saying "Tax on/for fools" that applies perfectly here. :ud:

- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

standalone wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:08 am
h2ogun99 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:23 pm HA! I think Apple dropped the ball in not allowing you to see all of the RGBs lights on the fans and graphics cards. At least they could have added a clear side panel. Nothing screams Pro like a pulsing rainbow of colors on your keyboard and mouse...hehehe.
So very true. I photoshopped (poorly) a PC version for the fun of it. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jace-BeOS wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:50 pm This has been my take:

https://angryartboy.blogspot.com/2019/0 ... -only.html
Very much my idea too :(
Fernando (FMR)

h2ogun99 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:27 pm
standalone wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:08 am
So very true. I photoshopped (poorly) a PC version for the fun of it. :lol:
Not enough bling
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

So... $9999 in Aussie "dollars", for the base model?

:egads:
Prestissimo in Moto Perpetuo

Melkor wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:29 am So... $9999 in Aussie "dollars", for the base model?
Plus the same amount for monitor and stand. ($80,000 AUD for full-spec). Keyboard & mouse not included.

... as a previous MacPro owner, I had been looking forward to this.
:o :lol:
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

After Steve Jobs died, Apple was turned into the Louis Vuitton of electronics.

People now buy Apple products as status symbols only. So, the 6k price will make those buyers feel even more special and elite.

I've been a Macbook Pro owner since 2009. My current 2016 touch bar model has proven to be an extravagantly expensive lesson in buyers remorse, not to mention a pos.

I could have bought a comparable specked pc laptop for about $1500.

And heres the best part. I could have changed the ram/hd in that pc. Not so on my exquisite mac, which was designed from the ground up to be completely un-upgradeable.

There is NOTHING Apple could ever, ever, ever do to get me back as a consumer. I write this with my screen held just so, so as not to completely black out the monitor. Yep, I've got major Flexgate issues now to boot.

SO GLAD I never let myself get too into Logic or FCP.

justin3am wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:45 pm 3.2Ghz i7 8700b with 32GB of RAM.

Keep in mind that this model uses the T2 security chipset which can cause issues with USB audio. I use an AVB interface over ethernet, so I'm not bothered.
There are people claiming it's fixed with the latest release of Mojave.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... 8-a-5.html

The new Mac Pro has the T2, but I imagine there won't be that many of its target customers who are using USB2 interfaces? (Although that's clearly not the point!)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”