Mac Pro is back...

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Strange - am I the first one...? Here it is, finally, after all this wait...

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/06 ... ro-display

This seems to be extremely powerful. In case you are Hans Zimmer and running out of processing power while doing track 999... :D

6k for 8 core, lame...

I want a $60.000 computer. 6k isn't expensive enough for me.

They finally produce an upgradable unit but it’s for video....
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:05 pm They finally produce an upgradable unit but....
Exactly, but they pulled Apple again, if they charged 5k for 12 core, 3k for 8 core and 9k for 24 core, that would be expected, but they went too far with this prices.

It wouldn't be KvR if we wouldn't complain about the price, no? This is obviously targeted at the high end (film) studio market. Personally, I think it's great to see that they have an expandable high end option again.

What you want, we fall over our heads, because now we can...make music again...

It wouldn’t be kvr if we didn’t complain about years of poor choices for Mac audio hardware. BTW If you have 32- bit apps, this summer is your last chance to upgrade, and iMacs are the only ones without T2 audio issues....
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

One of the 12-core (dual 6-core Xeon) MacPros I put together for work in 2012 was about $32k, if I remember right. The current pricing doesn't seem out of line with the MacPros I've gotten in the past. I've also ordered $30k Dell and HP workstations.

That said, I'm currently using a 2018 6-core MacMini which is running my largest projects without breaking a sweat. I'm not sure if I will need a MacPro again in the near future.

justin3am wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:18 pm One of the 12-core (dual 6-core Xeon) MacPros I put together for work in 2012 was about $32k, if I remember right. The current pricing doesn't seem out of line with the MacPros I've gotten in the past. I've also ordered $30k Dell and HP workstations.
I understand that 12 core in 2012 with all Apple crazy expansions to build up, but how you end up with 30k PC from Dell/HP, when, what specs?

I don't recall the specifics but they were speced similarly to a 2012 MacPro. They were Dell T-series and HP Z-series workstations. Try specing out a Dell Precision 7920 or a HP Z8, with all the bells and whistles.

Guys, I do not want to defend Apple and their poor choices in the past. I had a cheese grater Mac Pro, and two Power Macs before, so I know about the long time suffering since then, basically doing audio production from a laptop. I also understand the price argument, although this is very much in line with previous high end machines of Apple (esp. when taking overall price increases into account).

However, this is pretty much *exactly* what everyone was hoping for when describing what they wanted to have from a high end Mac Pro: expandable and with endless power. This is nothing like the 'closed' trash can Mac Pro system, but a much more versatile system. So, beyond the price point - what's not to like here?

Limited expandability: from extremely to ultra powerful (1400 watts!)
Last edited by Michael L on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

You got a point here. :lol:

justin3am wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:36 pm Try specing out a Dell Precision 7920 or a HP Z8, with all the bells and whistles.
Just went specing out Dell EMC PowerEdge T640 for 30k, went for 30+ storage drives, there's like 13k just in storage expansions, everything else top shelf. :help:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”