Latency issues on Windows version 1903 May 2019 Update

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Warning, there are severe latency issues in the latest windows update.
I and others get huge latency spikes caused by ntoskrnl.exe. :x

Related:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... lease.html
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... cy_issues/

Were you on 1809? Or 1803..?
--> You can skip 1809 now! :)

Did rolling back to 1809 (or 1803) fix it?
--> Apparently it does

Intel or AMD or both?
--> Not entirely clear on this but I think it's saying both

I'm experiencing this on my 8700k build as well. :(

I just ran LatencyMon on my desktop, after updating to 1903. No issue here at all... and ntoskrnl.exe doesn't show up there either. Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3.

Somehow knew this wasn't a general issue, by the way. People are so quick to jump to conclusions these days...

Is this affecting all kinds of drivers (like third party ASIO) or just the windows audio drivers?
Fernando (FMR)

Don't know about latency spikes but since 1903 my i7-7700 (non K) is much more crackling and glitching when preset changing.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

Everything is fine here on the latest build.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

i7 4790/Radeon R9 270/RME AIO OS 18362.113
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FYI 3 minutes of testing is not enough! Sometimes I get a spike only after 25 minutes. Yes, in my screenshot in the first post, it happened in 2 minutes but usually it takes a while, seems erratic.

anoise wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:15 pm FYI 3 minutes of testing is not enough! Sometimes I get a spike only after 25 minutes. Yes, in my screenshot in the first post, it happened in 2 minutes but usually it takes a while, seems erratic.
Occasionally spikes could be due the prefetch service though. In newer Windows 10 builds this service is now called (renamed) "sysmain" instead of "prefetch"
I temporarily end this service until next restart because i don't want this service completely shut down.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

Image2.jpg
The spike in this screenshot was the only one in 2 hours... But is a spike, nevertheless. Unfortunately, I have nothing to compare it to because this is the first time I've run this test for any length of time.
Also, I don't notice any problems when using my pc at all (which came with Win 7 Pro), in any software I use (Cubase, Visual Studio, Resolve).
Image3.jpg
PS
I've tweaked all the usual things - turned off all the cpu power-down stuff in the bios, etc, including adding the core-parking hack to the control panel power management dialog.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”