Looking at a "Future Proof" Laptop

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My Current Laptop is approaching 5 years old, so i am looking for a new one, I'm Running Reason 10.3 as my DAW with Omnisphere 2.6, Iris 2 and the U-He analog Emulations (Diva, Repro and ACE) with everything Valhalla DSP makes (Room, Delay, Shimmer, UberMod, Vintage and Plate as well as FreqEcho and Space Modulator) and Eventide H3000 Factory for effects, this is the Laptop that i am considering:

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Notebook-i7- ... ems&sr=1-1

I'm Basically looking for another laptop that will go for another 5+ years with limiting what software i would want to use, would that laptop be the one that i am looking for?

But you have your copy of Reason for sale now..

Anyway it's difficult to predict what you should get now that will be fine for another 5 years since in the 2nd half of this year there will be new AMD and Intel processors that offer significant benefits over what you can get now.

If you buy mid to high end now, you'll be good for another 5 years...

If it helps, two people I work with bought these machines last year, or models very similar, for high-end motion graphics work, and both are very happy with them.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

chk071 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 6:46 pm If you buy mid to high end now, you'll be good for another 5 years...
Basically this. Buy the model with the best Intel I7 (or better, if available) processor that can handle the amount of RAM you think you need later. So 16 GB of RAM might be enough for you now, just make sure the laptop can expand to hold 32 GB total as an example. I have a 10 year old desktop that rocks a first or second gen I7, and it still works surprisingly well for its age. And still bests many modern I3 and I5 processors ;). Look at PassMark benchmarks to see how well a processor _really_ performs:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/

I know they are expensive, but FWIW Apple computers last forever (again, they should be spec'd out well, especially since modern Apples cannot be upgraded).

For laptop performance future-proofing, you want to time when node-size of their CPU die shrinks. This has traditionally occurred every 18-24 months but has since slowed down thanks to reaching theoretical limits. e.g. Intel coffee lake https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_Lake is 2nd generation processor with 14 nm node size; next die-shrink is 10 nm node size https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Lake_ ... hitecture).

Hi,
I’m currently looking for a DAW laptop in the UK. My criteria are: low DPC latency, a modern CPU, thin lightweight design, and minimal thermal throttling, I’d also like a half decent graphics card.

So far this has proved to be an ask beyond what’s currently available, so I’m hanging in there for the head’s up from a proper DAW supplier.

After the DPC latency and thermal CPU throtlling horror stories I’ve recently read about laptops, unfortunately now feels like the time to exercise caution.

Please advise me of a solution that proves the above wrong:)

The only model's I'm aware of that is thermal throttling is the i9 mobile, which we've been avoiding since the initial launch feedback where it picked up a load of bad publicity due to temp issues. I'm not entirely sure they've ever all been solved either.

Shell refreshes normally bring DPC issues and they tend to be ironed out over the following months. The public doesn't normally see them, as normally there is a period with older models are still in circulation so things get ironed out in the background. This time around older stock ran out and newer stock is still being worked on.

I've got one up and running, I'm still chasing for updates from the factory for further improvements. I imagine now that one unit is done a few more will follow over the next few weeks.

Kaine wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:18 pm I've got one up and running, I'm still chasing for updates from the factory for further improvements. I imagine now that one unit is done a few more will follow over the next few weeks.
That's great news - I'll keep looking out for future updates!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”