How to optimize CPU usage in ableton other than freezing or flattening?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

I have a really slow PC, which has a core 2 duo, (Yes, a core 2.) but I'm kinda tired of freezing tracks to free up CPU usage because I really wanna make changes to it, and in order to do that I have to wait another minute. You might be asking, "What's the problem? Just freeze the other tracks." The problem is, it's just the one instrument that takes up my whole CPU. Can someone help me past this workaround?
14-yo newbie producer :ud:
Serum, Ascension, SphereDelay, Addictive Drums 2, Addictive Keys, Addictive Drums 2, BioTek, Trash 2.
Yes I am aware that i don't have any use for half of my plugins

Get another PC, Live is resource hog anyways, there's no much workarounds really, for around 100-150 bucks you can buy second hand i5 2500k machine.

I hope you tweaked your system for audio:
https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... -Windows-8

Unfortunately it sounds like you have a ~really~ old pc and I don't think you'll get too much milage out of much other than an upgrade.

If any of your insturments have quality settings, turning those down might be a stopgap if you haven't already.

unfortunately, software is NOT cheaper then hardware, despite what you've been told because you have to keep buying hardware and updates, one of the first things i learned, but the good news is once you have it all up and running and you are making stuff, you can stop. stop buying in once you get a setup that works.

that being said, first thing is make sure you turn off your internet connection. wifi and internet are always, constantly, stealing cycles to spy on you. second thing is make sure your machine is clean... i mean spit spot man. no extra nothing nowhere! dedicate it to one task. clean all temp files and downloads and for sure, definitely, any web browser. basically anything that can and will spy on you is stealing cycles and using ram. you have to go deep, deep, deep into the nonsense crooklyn that is windows settings, through all the nooks and crannies (set aside at least a day) and clean f**king house! make sure it's not doing ANYTHING automatically. make sure EVERYTHING is a manual update or cleaning etc. then, and i'm going to catch fire for this from $oft guys, gawd help me, but use a safe registry cleaner (i said safe!) because that ish is reinstalling flash cookies on you! lastly, use $ofts file cleaners and hardrive cleaners, then do a hard reboot!

now choose the appropriate audio settings. you don't need, and won't get, top end audio settings. if you can upgrade your graphix card... that is where a lot of the magic is happening now, and if you can upgrade to a faster drive, do it!

also: don't forget to dig into startup and task manager to kill all unnecessary processes there.

Use really cpu efficient vsts - sylenth1, synth1, samplers.

check your advanced power management settings to make sure you have the minimum processor % set to 100%. This might not be an option. The power management slider set to "best performance" in theory does the same thing, but I had an issue with my shiny new Ryzen chips running slower than my older setup...the default was 5% min, 100%max. setting min to 100% resulted in drastic improvement in Live.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”