Laptop DAW+ VST`s, whats needed.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HI all,
my main music room is less accessible due to family reasons, so I would like to buy a laptop (Windows 10) to Run Live 10 and my VST instruments etc. and use it via listening to headphones Apart from buying a suitable laptop and a small midi keyboard would I need to buy a soundcard for latency etc. as I am using headphones.

Many thanks,
Glyn.

Quadcore i7 and minimum 8gb of ram laptop..
Can't say much for keyboard since I'm hunting one by myself too :D
If you only use headphones, you don't need soundcard, latest asio4all drivers are enough.
If you still want a soundcard, steinberg ur22 is good and compact.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:42 pm Quadcore i7 and minimum 8gb of ram laptop..
Can't say much for keyboard since I'm hunting one by myself too :D
If you only use headphones, you don't need soundcard, latest asio4all drivers are enough.
If you still want a soundcard, steinberg ur22 is good and compact.
Hi mate,

thanks for that info, time to start hunting.

Cheers,
Glyn.

get an nvme PCIe SSD any way you look at it

Standard SSD is also fine. You probably won't notice the difference between the interfaces.

Native Instruments released Komplete Audio 1&2, think for your needs Komplete Audio 1 will be enough, not RME standard of USB drivers, but just bellow it and good enough for the price-quality ratio.

If you need small MIDI keyboard for Ableton Live, Novation SL 25 MkII is your best bet.

jancivil wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:58 pm get an nvme PCIe SSD any way you look at it
Thanks,
Cheers,
Glyn.

metamorphosis wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:04 am Standard SSD is also fine. You probably won't notice the difference between the interfaces.
Thanks,
Cheers,
Glyn.

Passing Bye wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:23 am Native Instruments released Komplete Audio 1&2, think for your needs Komplete Audio 1 will be enough, not RME standard of USB drivers, but just bellow it and good enough for the price-quality ratio.

If you need small MIDI keyboard for Ableton Live, Novation SL 25 MkII is your best bet.
Thanks,
Cheers,
Glyn.

Passing Bye wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:23 am If you need small MIDI keyboard for Ableton Live, Novation SL 25 MkII is your best bet.
Or... if you need something even smaller, with nice mini keys, i can recommend the Arturia MiniLab mk2. Works great for me.

Glyn Darby wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:32 pm
metamorphosis wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:04 am Standard SSD is also fine. You probably won't notice the difference between the interfaces.
Thanks,
Cheers,
Glyn.
I mentioned it as I noticed a huge difference.

I have has tremendous trouble with DPC latency on my Dell laptop with nvidia drivers. If you Google you'll probably find many similar complaints. It's avoid anything with nvidia drivers if possible.
My milkshake brings all the girls to the yard

http://soundcloud.com/the-boogee-man

jancivil wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:45 pm
Glyn Darby wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:32 pm
Thanks,
Cheers,
Glyn.
I mentioned it as I noticed a huge difference.
Thanks jancivil,
I will check out any performance differences with a fine tooth comb.

Cheers,
Glyn.

kev2525 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:56 pm I have has tremendous trouble with DPC latency on my Dell laptop with nvidia drivers. If you Google you'll probably find many similar complaints. It's avoid anything with nvidia drivers if possible.
Hi Kev2525,
Thanks for the heads up on that one, duly noted.

Cheers,
Glyn.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”