OSX High Sierra or Mojave for Logic Pro X?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey,
I'm currently using Mac OSX Sierra for Logic Pro X. But planning about upgrading. Which of the newest OSX is best for Logic Pro X?

Probably Mojave if your hardware meets the requirements
Sweet child in time...

Well, I do not know from Logic Pro X, but there is a definite flaw in Mojave that made me seriously consider erasing the system drive and going back to HS.
Spotlight Indexing is causing people all over to experience major hanging in all sorts of applications. It was for me in a show-stopping fashion, Finder, Cubase, Quick Time, Chrome, VLC, Audio MIDI Setup, Da Vinci Resolve, you-name-it.

There is a simple fix, but it takes disabling System Integrity Protection to get there. Turning Spotlight off.

Not sure if that issue is for all Macs as I don't have it and I haven't turned off any functionality.

Not sure how to determine if the issue will arise or not though.
Sweet child in time...

I never go with the newest. I just upgraded from Sierra to High Sierra.
You are currently reading my signature.

Mojave works fine on my rigs. Occasionally have to reboot for some plugins to be scanned by Logic, but I also had that on High Sierra too.

superscan wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:09 pm Mojave works fine on my rigs. Occasionally have to reboot for some plugins to be scanned by Logic, but I also had that on High Sierra too.
Just to let you know that most of the time login in/login out from your account will do.
edit: typo...
Last edited by nordickvr on Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mojave is not all that new, .4 now. I never adopt the brand new. This was brand new in like September or October.
I saw today going back several OS versions Spotlight behaving badly. I have never thought I needed it, I don't really get it.

Mojave also broke Resolve scanning of vsts somehow, v 14, 15, and 16 won't stop trying to sort VI Pro like it has some authorization issue. Forces a hard reboot. Well it did for me, the issue is on various Windows systems, maybe everywhere. Coincidence, I don't know. I hate to wipe the drive. This Spotlight issue is not unique to me by a long ways. I don't know how hardware related it is.

For me, Mojave has been the most stable and solid macOS release since Mavericks. I've been running it since release date and never had a problem. All of my software / plugins work just fine without any "Mojave-compatible-update". Was just plug and play. Therefore I'd go with Mojave.

Another vote for Mojave, especially if you have a Fusion Drive. I"m generally conservative with OS upgrades. I kept this machine on El Capitan ( what it came with) until I had to go to Sierra for Logic 10.4. This time, I jumped right in, and have experienced no significant weirdness, yet.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

nordickvr wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:19 am
superscan wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:09 pm Mojave works fine on my rigs. Occasionally have to reboot for some plugins to be scanned by Logic, but I also had that on High Sierra too.
Just to let you know that most of the time login in/login out from you’r account will do.
Awesome! Great tip!

If you DO go for Mojave, NB: you want to give your DAW and any such important applications access to control the computer in System Preferences Security & Privacy; in Accessibility, and if you're prompted to, in Automation (control other apps - may not come up for Logic).

The 'it broke Resolve scanning vsts' is this, I didn't let it control everything, I was new to this.
Last edited by jancivil on Mon May 20, 2019 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Just installed an inexpensive professionally refurbished Metal compatible NVIDIA GPU card WITH a boot screen for my 2009 5,1 Mac Pro and upgraded to Mojave 10.14.5. I reset the SMC and the NVRAM and it seems to be fine.

My monitors wake up from sleep much faster than they did with HS and the startup macOS Recovery option is back. I still don’t have the Startup Manager or Apple Hardware Test but I can get to the Startup Disk System Preferences pane using MacOS Recovery.

The recent ZombieLoad vulnerability seems to have only been patched in Mojave, which I'd say is a (major) consideration. It's definitely forcing my hand to finally finish the Mojave installation I started a while back.

I wasn’t sure about Mojave’s Dark Mode at first but I gave it a try and am now experiencing much less eye fatigue when working in Logic. That’s using a standard Dell 2500X1600 30” display. I suspect this will vary depending on the display(s) and the user.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”