High end Mac mini for big orchestral template

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello friends,
I'm about to purchase the new mac mini with following specs: 3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz), 64 GB, 512 SSD.
My libraries are on an external ssd, so I don't feel I need more than 512 space on the mac.
To those experienced experts out there, do you feel I should be ok managing large orchestral templates, around 200 kontakt instances (fully purged of course) or is the processor a little on the weak side for this ?  To me, for a 2499$ Mac, the specs seem pretty nice compared to other mac price options.
I realise I could get an absolute beast PC for that price, but I'm a logic guy so far and haven't had the 'cojones" to leave my comfort zone for now.
Please tell me what you think.
Thank you for your help !

Should be fine, but I'd still look at an iMac Pro and you probably don't need any more than 32GB of RAM, especially if you choose modeled virtual instruments over sample based instruments. Think WIVI, Samplemodeling, Audiomodeling, MODO BASS, AAS stuff.

You'd only need the RAM for orchestral percussion libraries and I'd say about 4GB for the percussion. The modeled instruments wouldn't take up more than another 10GB at the very most even in a high (50+) track setup.

Of course if you're stuck with big sample libraries you might want 64GB but in most cases with direct streaming (as in Kontakt) you should be fine with 32GB.

The 8 core iMac Pro is ideal for DAW work.
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

I am on a Mac Mini. I personally don't think 512gb is going to be enough disk space. It will not last you. Make sure you are able to upgrade that SSD when time comes and prepare the upgrade migration process. Meaning, test backup and restore from a timemachine setup.

I am on a older Mini and had a 1TB SATA drive in it. The system went belly up and I had to redo it, so i upgraded to a 512gb SSD in the process. The performance boot of going to a SSD was totally worth it, but I really am missing the extra space. The 512 gb is getting eaten up really fast, and I don't even have Komplete or any orchestral libraries. All those working copies of wav files keep accumulating. My options are work off a USB attached external drive for off line storage of data or try to take apart the mini and add a 2nd SSD. There are apparently people who have done that and posted youtube howtos.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Don't let anybody tell you how much RAM you need based on what they like.

I would never rely on Wivi for winds, myself. Simply not realistic.
(And, I'm not personally sold on Pianoteq.)
SampleModeling is solo instruments. You cannot populate a section in the orchestra that way (because acoustics. I'm not writing that thesis again right now, it's in one of those orchestral strings threads). If you are 100% sold on modeling, great, that will cut down on *some* storage concerns. SampleModeling is quite good for solo instruments.

But the goal is 'big orchestral template'. I would have bought 64GB if it were available for what I bought in September, and I had to have something then. And I don't really do 'big orchestral' if that means symphonic. I have enough with 32GB for the time being, but once I start loading full strings sections, and I mean a full 'violins 1' and/or 'cellos'. I'm looking at running out of RAM.

"I'd say about 4GB for the percussion." - it depends on what you use. If you use VSL, their instrument (and VE Pro globally does the same trick) can learn what's actually used and now 'optimize' turns what isn't off. You can have a monstrous load in potential which loads with all cells turned off, additionally.
If it's BFD3, it could use some space, albeit there are strategies, such as only deal in 16-bit.

Real example, this list:
list.png
is using 14.35GB right now. I'm not optimizing anything, mind.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

as to disk space, I have 1TB and I'm constantly managing that. 2TB from Apple was more than I could really spend. Fortunately this drive performs normally at 96% used.

Thanks a lot for the replies. I will meditate your insights and make my decision in the days to come.

Oh btw, the "Vlns" there is just "Chamber Strings Light" with two articulations. 'FX Strings' is chamber sized.
_small orchestra_

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”