32GB of ram - when needed and how to figure it out

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I'd need to decide whether I need / will need a 32GB ram memory. At this very moment I believe I'm more than good with 16GB, but cannot realize weather in the future I might need those.

I am an amateur who records MIDI keyboard, guitar (sometimes), will eventually record 1 vocal. I basically use Cubase 9.5 with Spectrasonic, Trillian, EZ Drummer, Omnisphere, Vienna Symphonic Library (just the Starer Edition), and some library from Native Instruments.

The longest project I created had only 10 midi tracks, but since I'm dedicating to develop my production and composing skills, maybe I will create more complex projects with effects and plugins (that I'm currently not using very much).

I play funk/soul/gospel music, and I basically record to create draft project, I don't aim to be a pro producer. I will just learn the basic of mix / mastering and will use eventually the setup for live gigs.

So this is my situation, are there any ways to actually plan the RAM needed, according to the softwares, libraries, etc...?

Thanks for helping
Last edited by ilwoody on Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1. Open task manager.
2. Check your peak RAM usage.
3. Become smarter.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I've had a couple projects with only 12-15 tracks use 12 gigs of RAM. It was all Omni and Kontakt libraries. The Kontakt libraries being orchestral stuff. I'd say just wait until you get closer to that 16 gig threshold before you decide to upgrade

With my old setup, 24GB RAM, I on occasion would have to scramble, and I was purging RAM pretty frequently, but these were for me, for one that isn't doing massive symphonic, huge templates. These days I have gotten to 24 gigs in projects...

As to planning, look at the size of instruments.

I think you should be good with 16 GB. I run very similar instruments to what you have, and I haven't had an issue. But I also track my instruments to offload CPU/Memory sometimes.

I had the same question. The thing is computers can be upgraded and that buying 32 GB at once won't save you much money as compared to buying 16 GB now and 16 later on.
My decision was to get 16 GB for my new rig and measure peak usage with the task manager. So far I'm OK and I think my next jump would be to 24 GB, but it's not urgent, so I set up an alert at pcpartpicker.com for 8 GB memories. If a crazy offer comes along, I'll jump at it.
By the way, I'm using BFD3 in its most RAM-hungry configuration and my projects are quite sample-based.

If you're not going to start loading full orchestral strings sections and massively articulated VSL (not SE of course, which uses little RAM) or what-have-you, 32GB is probably not a very crucial sort of buy for you. There is nothing all that greedy in the OP.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”