Win10 1803 vs 1809 -- Linux CIFS issue

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here can help on this one.

I've two desktops running Win10.

One was an 8.1 box upgraded. It's an AMD CPU (ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 mobo) and is happily running the latest Win10 1809 release. (More or less, network browsing is flaky.)

The other one was a Win10 box from day 1. It's an Intel CPU (ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac mobo). I'd been happily keeping up to date until Win10 1809 hit. Of course, it didn't get 1809 for a long time. However, when it did, suddenly I had no access to CIFS shares from my Linux box. (CIFS to our other QNAP NAS remained okay.) So I reverted to 1803 (which worked - I was shocked; so shocked I risked doing it again a few months later, hoping the issue had been fixed...).

Nothing I've seen suggested elsewhere has fixed it. I've seen other reports of the same ... or, at least, a similar ... issue. What's not clear from what I've read is whether it's a "known issue", as the references I've read to tickets at Microsoft end up being not exactly what I'm seeing.

Is this basically some screw-up in the Intel chipset Networking stack with Win10 1809? Or is it something else - i.e. am I just missing something?

Thanks,

-- Peter

Have you checked to see if SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support is turned on in Windows features?

As far as possible, I've triple checked settings between the two boxes are the same when on 1809. Once a few more suggestions in, I'll do the upgrade again and have another pass through everything.

I'm not sure if it is turned on by default in 1809, but you can check by going to Control Panel > Programs and Features then clicking on Turn Windows features on or off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

If you have access to the linux shell you can also do:

sudo mount -t cifs url_goes_here mount_directory_goes_here -o rw -o username=your_user_name,password=your_password,vers=2.1,uid=your_user_id
~stratum~

This is on the box where 1809 works - i.e. can access the remote share:
WindowsFeatures1809-AMD.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Looks like you don't need CIFS support. If you haven't already, I would check out Event Viewer for any warnings/errors and QNAP's support resources.

What are you on about?

Common problem, and yes, it's a 1809-specific problem to do with network shares.
The workaround might differ for you because you're accessing a linux share not a win10 share-
for the win10 shares the solution I found was to create a .bat which turned off, then on, all three networking services, and put it in the startup folder. Can't find the link for which services, pretty sure BITS was one of them.
Literally nothing else worked in my case.

Also resetting the network ('Reset Networking' in settings) can help with some computers.
Otherwise, there's plenty of suggestions on google.

Thanks - I'd not seen the "turn it off and on" (for the services) -- if you can dig out what they were, I can give that a go. I think I tried the Reset Networking but I'll give it another go, too.

I've seen a lot of problems reported with 1809 networking but most, when looked into, aren't the same as this. Most get solved - it's only where the server is Linux I'm seeing the unsolvable.

Had another go, still no difference. 1803 sees the server fine, 1809 on the Intel doesn't, settings checked.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”