AMD Ryzen latency

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

anyone who owns Ryzen based system, I'd be happy to know what's your output latency ? I've heard Ryzen can't go as low as Intel in terms of latency/buffer settings

What protocol, ASIO?

I'm sure the RTL performance would be identical on either AMD or Intel based PCs.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:43 pm I'm sure the RTL performance would be identical on either AMD or Intel based PCs.
It is.

The difference is the other half of the equation, in regards to how many tracks it can do at each of those buffers.

Yes Ryzen has higher latency as compared to Intel because of its architecture.

Wait for the new Ryzen 3000 series...
https://wccftech.com/asus-x570-motherbo ... -leak-out/

Audio latency is a function of the ASIO buffer size, not the CPU. Ryzen can go just as low as Intel, but the performance hit from using lower buffer sizes is a bit greater on Ryzen. So at lower buffer sizes, Intel CPUs generally pull away from their Ryzen equivalents in terms of how many plugins/tracks you can use, while at higher buffer sizes, Ryzen is more competitive. The Ryzen 2000-series improved on this, and the 3000 series coming out this summer should be a further improvement.

Personally, I use 256 samples. I could go lower, but that's totally overkill for me. This is responsive enough that I can record MIDI parts on my keyboard without any issues. I'm running a Ryzen 1800X, 16 GB of 3200 MHz RAM at CAS14 and an Audiobox USB 96. My projects generally hit about 30 - 40% CPU in Studio One. I don't use crazy track counts or anything like that, but a few CPU heavy plugins like Diva, Repro, Lush-101, various channel strips and reverbs etc.

As for the DPC latency, it seems my GPU is the biggest culprit.

The Presonus Quantum2 is Thunderbolt2 and supposedly has the lowest RTL latency of any ASIO interface on the market.
Any word on a Ryzen chipset with native Thunderbolt3?
AdvancedFollower wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:12 pm Audio latency is a function of the ASIO buffer size, not the CPU. Ryzen can go just as low as Intel, but the performance hit from using lower buffer sizes is a bit greater on Ryzen. So at lower buffer sizes, Intel CPUs generally pull away from their Ryzen equivalents in terms of how many plugins/tracks you can use, while at higher buffer sizes, Ryzen is more competitive. The Ryzen 2000-series improved on this, and the 3000 series coming out this summer should be a further improvement.

Personally, I use 256 samples. I could go lower, but that's totally overkill for me. This is responsive enough that I can record MIDI parts on my keyboard without any issues. I'm running a Ryzen 1800X, 16 GB of 3200 MHz RAM at CAS14 and an Audiobox USB 96. My projects generally hit about 30 - 40% CPU in Studio One. I don't use crazy track counts or anything like that, but a few CPU heavy plugins like Diva, Repro, Lush-101, various channel strips and reverbs etc.

As for the DPC latency, it seems my GPU is the biggest culprit.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:06 am The Presonus Quantum2 is Thunderbolt2 and supposedly has the lowest RTL latency of any ASIO interface on the market.
The Quantum is possibly the best value interface with super low latency but otherwise RME, Lynx & Marian would most likely all beg to differ on that statement.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”