This vs this vs this?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well I'm looking to replace my Mac, with another Mac. The question is do I need the most powerful one or are the disadvantages in going for the i9? - I do also like the graphics card though.

Wish there was more info about the possibility of an actual MacPro this year though, I would hate to get a new Mac and then it be announced.

I bought the i9 with that graphics processor. It's a beautiful experiences. The display is fantastic. I bought the fastest one with the Turbo Boost.

I would normally have put that kind of money into a desktop but it spec'd out so well I actually don't have that attitude today, plus my only machine was about to die and is now quite dead, I happened to come into the money in a timely fashion and needed to act. But the form factor is preferable at this point (I'm not very well) which is me and may not be you.

For me the power is a key part of the decision, I could have stood working at a desktop at the time. It's vastly faster than I've ever experienced. I used to use a MacPro with more cores but the processor and the NVME SSD make for a really powerful computer for virtual music creation.
Another surprise is that I'm using 97% of the drive and there is no discernible slowdown or issue.

The one user so far here reported cooling problems with the next card on the list of options [Vega?], with the i9 but it's no such thing here.

I use Nuendo and VE Pro with a fairly large load of plugins potentially. Right now this setup is using the cores (literally right now project is using 5 to 6); he was using something which relies on one core.

Also surprising is the internal speaker quality. I'm perceiving real stereo and back to front depth from it watching movies ans such. I don't mix with it, but the speakers quality is a huge improvement. Used to really suck.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jancivil wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:35 pm I bought the i9 with that graphics processor. It's a beautiful experiences. The display is fantastic. I bought the fastest one with the Turbo Boost.

I would normally have put that kind of money into a desktop but it spec'd out so well I actually don't have that attitude today, plus my only machine was about to die and is now quite dead, I happened to come into the money in a timely fashion and needed to act. But the form factor is preferable at this point (I'm not very well) which is me and may not be you.

For me the power is a key part of the decision, I could have stood working at a desktop at the time. It's vastly faster than I've ever experienced. I used to use a MacPro with more cores but the processor and the NVME SSD make for a really powerful computer for virtual music creation.
Another surprise is that I'm using 97% of the drive and there is no discernible slowdown or issue.
Yeah I'm in the same boat, not sure how much longer my MacMini is going to hold up - it's lasted me 8 years. Probably would go for the fastest graphics card as well if I did go all out, I can afford it but just that nagging doubt about the possibility of a new Mac desktop is making me wonder about just going for the cheaper MacMini option in the short term and waiting a bit longer. Fact is the only thing limiting the MacMini is the lack of a decent graphics procesor but you can add external ones now.

Well, if was the salesperson I would emphasize the display quality, you're stuck with whatever with a Mini. The Mini specs out nicely as well.
I mean the display is kind of shocking. I additionally went with this 21.5" display [LG Ultrafine 4K] they sell, which is also a beautiful visual but such a POS build-wise.

The dead computer was a mid-2010. I don't think they live a lot longer than that.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”