Can I just copy all VST plugins .dll files to new PC ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Built new PC, will do a clean install because old computer has too much junk like conflicting drivers and also has been infected with virus last year (virus was from super audio converter).

Can I just copy all VST plugins .dll files to new PC and re-authorize them ?
Or do I have to go thru the long and painful way of reinstalling one by one ?
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

It depends. Some will work OK, especially effects, but others need files, like wavetables and stuff, that will be installed somewhere else. Some also store their GUI image files in a separate folder and stuff like that, so its safest to just reinstall them.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

anything you installed by simply dropping a .dll file in a folder ,
then same / same ...
anything you installed w/ an installer , you'll need to use that
installation file again ...
some devs have ' centers ' , like NI , Flux , Arturia ...
you'll need to use those ...
those that require activation / authorization will need to be
re-authorized / re-activated ...
plus some other annoying things i'm not thinking of , probably ...

In my experience, the best way to go would be installing everything one by one. Some are as simple as dropping the file into the new directory on the new machine, others require more.

You could just copy everything over, then just see what works and doesn't, but that can be frustrating when working on a project, adding a vst, only to find that you have to go and install it.

bit the bullet and went with windows 10, now have my fingers crossed that my old old instrument plugins like sound burst Ethnosphere, steinberg virtual guitarist v1 and v2 and few other old ones will all work.

I guess this is a good time to go thru all the plugins and reinstall only the ones I really used.
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

Absolutely. I'm sure everything will work.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

experimental.crow wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:08 am those that require activation / authorization will need to be
Some plugins first need to be de-authorized/de-activated on the the old computer before re-authorized/re-activated on the new one.

Rivanni wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:26 am
experimental.crow wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:08 am those that require activation / authorization will need to be
Some plugins first need to be de-authorized/de-activated on the the old computer before re-authorized/re-activated on the new one.
I am in a similar situation.

1. Which plugins need to be de-authorized/de-activated? What happens if your PC burned to a crisp so there must be a way around the "de-authorized/de-activated".

2. Some plugins allow for more than one installation so these will work in any case.

3. Then there are some programs that do not allow an older version and a new version to co-exist in the same PC. A little note in the installation windows informing you of this fact is just about always missing.

4. I keep my samples in a separate Drive. To be safe is it best to delete the samples a re-install the samples as a fresh install?

1. Which plugins need to be de-authorized/de-activated? What happens if your PC burned to a crisp so there must be a way around the "de-authorized/de-activated".
Then you are screwed and dependent on technical support :P

Many plugins (on Windows) need some extra registry entry, license files or dreaded iLok. So you need to know stuff like that in advance and prepare all necessary files before moving to new PC.
4. I keep my samples in a separate Drive. To be safe is it best to delete the samples a re-install the samples as a fresh install?
What kind of samples? If they are free-roaming samples, then you can just copy them to any location as long as you keep consistent folder structure. If they're sample-based libraries for plugins, however, you may need to reinstall them anyway.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”