My iMac died and I need a new computer... please help?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I’d love some help with suggestions.

I need a new computer, feeling pissed off with Apple but my studio has been Apple based for over 15 years, so I’m scared to to leave and go the PC route.
Just the installation would be a nightmare never mind learning windows.

I’m thinking about the iMac Pro but it’s 2 years old now so am not sure it would be a worthwhile investment at the $4999 entry point.

I’m no computer genius and would love some help with spec.

My work is music production, mixing and post production so I need power and preferably a machine with longevity and that I’m able to upgrade parts for.

Many thanks in advance.

Get a custom 3XS from SCAN ... https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs

simmo75 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:51 pmI need power and preferably a machine with longevity and that I’m able to upgrade parts for.
Then you don't want a new Mac. Seriously, they're trash these days.

You said in the other thread that you had a 2013 iMac. Maybe a pimped-out Mac Pro 5,1 would be an option? At least they're user-serviceable and with a graphics card upgrade they're even running Mojave.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mp ... e.2142418/
Last edited by sprnva on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image Image Image

(quoted instead of edited)
Image Image Image Image

From my experiences (admittedly only scratching the surface mostly...) switching between Windows and Mac is not THAT big of a deal. Most stuff works similar. And, i heard that Macs even have 2 button mice now, so, getting used to that won't be an issue either. ;) I don't know how deep you dig in the system though. For Macs, that's not possible to the degree that it's possible in Windows, so, i assume you haven't done that too deeply, so, that won't be much of an issue for you either.

TBH, for me, a expensive computer just dieing after 5 or 6 years would be a no-go for me. I have Windows based PC's now for nearly 25 years, and none of those just died on me. Didn't even have a hard drive crash so far. My mother's first Macbook on the other hand had a hard drive crash after 6 months (!!). I won't claim that Apple has a reliability problem, but, let's just say i find that a bit odd.

If you are a long term Mac user with limited exposure to Windows, going the PC route is risky. I have both Windows and Mac machines and use them daily. I started out as a Windows enthusiast but switched over to Macs about 15 years ago. I need to use Windows for some work related tasks but whenever I do, it takes me about an hour and I want to kick that box out of the window. I have no idea how people can cope with that OS nonsense. But that is me, other people feel just the opposite (so I am told). Windows boxes are a lot cheaper and might more sense economically. But you need to make sure that you are person tolerant to the quirks of the Windows ecosystem first. Personally, I'm looking at ASIO4ALL and all I can do is wonder "why on earth...?".
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

What's wrong with ASIO4ALL? :)

Windows has a built-in low latency driver too, BTW. WASAPI. Unfortunately, not all DAW's support it.

Thanks guys.

The main reasons for the mac option are the operating system and the fact I can plug my time machine back up in to a new mac and be working as usual within the hour..

I’m not anti pc and am open to switching to windows but installing everything from scratch and setting up the file paths etc doesn’t sound sound like fun.

Fair enough. Maybe something refurbished from the Apple shop?

chk071 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:11 pm What's wrong with ASIO4ALL? :)

Windows has a built-in low latency driver too, BTW. WASAPI. Unfortunately, not all DAW's support it.
Its pure existence very literally makes no sense whatsoever. The OS should not need it. Drivers are weird. :lol:
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

I'm a Mac user for almost 30 years. If I had to buy a new machine right now then It would be a Mac mini.

Etienne1973 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:37 pm I'm a Mac user for almost 30 years. If I had to buy a new machine right now then It would be a Mac mini.
What spec would you get?
Cheers

simmo75 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:58 pm
Etienne1973 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:37 pm I'm a Mac user for almost 30 years. If I had to buy a new machine right now then It would be a Mac mini.
What spec would you get?
Processor: 3.2GHz with Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz / 6-core i7 (fastest option currently)
RAM: 16GB (for me personally enough)
SSD: 512GB

Now we are talking about $1700.

simmo75 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:51 pmMy work is music production, mixing and post production so I need power
You say that but I produce music and HD motion graphics on my computer and it runs a paltry Core i5 mobile processor. It took me a long time to realise but computers have been fast enough for a while now that you no longer need to be at the bleeding edge to get things done. These days I am more interested in how fast the drives are than anything else. So if you want another Mac, just get a standard iMac but make sure it's got a good SSD in it. You'll still pay the Apple tax but you'll get a capable enough machine.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Bear in mind that the only upgradable part of the 2018 Mac Mini is the RAM. You can't even upgrade the internal storage. And it has the T2 chip that's causing all sorts of issues for people with USB audio interfaces (even RME). Thunderbolt might be unaffected.

Actually that makes me realise that Thunderbolt might be one reason against getting a MP5,1. I don't think it's possible to add it.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”