how the &$%! do i migrate computers???

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'd like to buy a new high spec windows 10 machine. Dream machine. Sounds good.

But the very idea of reinstalling EVERYTHING seems like a bitter nightmare :cry:

Is there any easy way round this?

I have the usual couple of hundred or so plugs (yeah, only), inc loads of synths, more kontakt than I can count, plus endless wav files and other stuff (haven't even mentioned effects)

And all the registrations & downloads, complete with lost passwords, key files, urls, pdfs etc

I just don't see it as humanly possible. Endless time & error.

How do the pros do it?

begging-for-help = kevvvvv
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Acronis True Image.
Universal Restore I think it is called does the trick.

https://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/computer-backup/

Unfortunately their newer versions (I last did it in 2014) has a whole heap more bloatware that may want to disable..... but it transferred everything fine for me.

Universal Restore

Easily restore your current system to new hardware with our bootable media and driver injection technology.

rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

I understand this will copy all the files.

But what about all the registry entries for everything?

This has to be accurate or nothing will work properly
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

kevvvvv wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:24 pm I understand this will copy all the files.

But what about all the registry entries for everything?

This has to be accurate or nothing will work properly

Everything..... I had to reauthorize some C/R plugins..... but it will copy over everything as is...... its the closest on PC afaik to apple's brilliant migration assistant.....
rsp
sound sculptist

kevvvvv buy a book on self-hypnosis and hypnotise yourself into a zen state of enthusiasm for software installation. Remember to write a note to yourself to click your fingers and put it somewhere you will find in a week otherwise you may never snap out of it and you'll be reinstalling plugins for enjoyment in 2+ years time.
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

What version of Windows will you be upgrading from? 8 and 10 don't need any kind of migration to new hardware. They will reconfigure themselves on first boot.

For 7 and earlier, Paragon also had a free tool for doing this. They've since discontinued it and integrated it into their paid solutions but you can still get it from here.

However you'll probably still need to reauthorise some stuff as your hardware has changed.
Image Image Image Image

Depending on what you get, they actually sell SSD's with the migration software included for free so you don't need to buy the software. I have used them with Kingston SSDs and it includes a tweaked version of Acronis which only works with their drives. I think Intel also have them but use a different copy software.

But FWIW, If you are going to move to a new hardware and OS, I think its better to just reinstall the applications and copy over your work files.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Migrating a system with lots of software based on lots of licensing systems is never completely straightforward. I usually set aside a weekend to migrate everything. Anything on a dongle is rather easy. You just copy everything over, plug in the dongle and that's it.

C/R is a nightmare to do if you have hundreds of them but can be done. Serials might or might not copy over if you use migration software, so it becomes more of a task to check that everything is working. Keyfiles should be ok as well. The problem arises with some authorizations that are hardware dependent. Be sure to deauthorize everything that has a deauthorize functionality before you migrate.

But there is always something that does not work as intended. So far I have not yet managed to migrate without having to contact at least one developer for assistance in migrating the license.

And I know of at least two pieces of software (the Waves NX standalone mixing room and the Dante Virtual Soundcard, in case you are wondering) that you cannot migrate at all without purchasing an additional license.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

All food for thought..
Considering.
Btw I'll still be on Win10.
Replies very much appreciated here.
Will check out software recommendations and bone up a bit more.
Will report back

If you're going from 10 to 10 you just have to move the drive to your new computer, or clone it to the drive that will be in your new computer.

WIndows will boot ok and you'll just have to update drivers and reactivate Windows and any software that needs it due to the hardware change.
Image Image Image Image

dont want to hijack this thread,
but what if the back up image is from windows 7 but you want migrate to windows 10 ? is that possible ?
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

no - not migrate os
migrate to new better machine

FWIW I’m about to share the same pain.
My CPU packed up so I’m writing off the old system and going for a 3xs 9900k based one.

My “strategic” plan is to spend the necessary time to build a clean stack on their supplied win 10 so only what I need gets installed.

However, in parallel with this I intend to present my trusted legacy win 8.1 build to the new system and install drivers, re-authorise plugs etc. I’m hoping that this will be a relatively quick setup which could be dual booted to support older projects.

Good luck

u too

I've not used it personally, but I have a couple of clients who have used Laplink and managed to shift in excess of 80% of the programs and they've kept working with the correct reg entries once the jobs done.

https://web.laplink.com

Y.M.M.V

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”