On board sound vs firewire audio I/F

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all

I have a Presonus Firestudio audio I/F that I bought some time ago to connect via firewire to my iMac. I have recently sold the iMac and have built myself a new Windows 10 PC.

The motherboard does not have a Firewire port on it, so I am considering buying a firewire card to slot into the motherboard. My question may be a stupid one but here goes...

Rather than going down the route of buying a firewire card to be able to connect my Firestudio, is it worth considering using the On board audio that came with my new motherboard ? The model is ASRock X470 Taichi and the audio specs are as follows:

7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec)
Premium Blu-ray Audio support
Supports Surge Protection
Supports Purity SoundTM 4
Nichicon Fine Gold Series Audio Caps
120dB SNR DAC with Differential Amplifier
NE5532 Premium Headset Amplifier for Front Panel
Audio Connector (Supports up to 600 Ohm headsets)
Pure Power-In
Direct Drive Technology
PCB Isolate Shielding
Impedance Sensing on Line Out port
Individual PCB Layers for R/L Audio Channel
RGB LED
Gold Audio Jacks
15μ Gold Audio Connector
Supports DTS Connect

As the I/F is now fairly old, I didn't want to spend money on a card to connect it if the onboard audio on my new MB is up to the task.
EDIT: My monitors were connected to the I/F with 1/4" TRS jacks, and the motherboard only has the typical 3.5mm connections. In this respect I'm guessing the Firewire I/F is the best option ??

Whichever route I choose, should I be using the ASIO4ALL v2 driver that was installed with FL Studio with either of these options ?

Thanks in advance

Paul
Windows 11
Ryzen 7 5800X
ASRock X470 Taichi
32GB Corsair DDR4
EVGA RTX2070
Audient ID14 MK2
KRK VXT6 Monitors

Gotta love that RGB led... Otherwise these specs don't really "spec" anything.
Seriously, try it out for some time. See how you like it.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Hi

Yes I thought that this was pretty much just the spiel that comes with the motherboard specs. I just wondered if the answer to this was a no-brainer / night and day / only one obvious route. Forgive my lack of knowledge !

Am I correct in saying that it is common to use a USB 3 external audio I/F with PC these days ? Has technology moved on a great deal since the Firestudio ?
Windows 11
Ryzen 7 5800X
ASRock X470 Taichi
32GB Corsair DDR4
EVGA RTX2070
Audient ID14 MK2
KRK VXT6 Monitors

It depends on your needs. For just plugging in a headphone and composing or basic mixing the onboard sound can be good enough.

There are some things to look out for while testing onboard sound.
* You might notice noises as you move the mouse or drag a window.
* It might sound a bit different at 44kHz or 48kHz, depending on how good it's sample rate conversion algorithm is and what it's default sample rate is.
* Connectivity. Line inputs only? Do you need them at all? The mic input will suck for sure.
* Latency. If you work in the box only with no midi controlller, this won't be an issue. Otherwise best shop for an external interface with ASIO drivers.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”