Laptop Drive Configuration?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just got a Dell Inspiron 5570 that came with a 1TB HDD (2.5" 5400rpm) and a 128GB SSD. It comes configured with the 1TB HDD as the C(OS) drive and the 128GB SSD as the D(Data) drive. This seems backwards to me. It was on Scratch and Dent sale from the Dell Outlet($600) and was thinking when they refurbished it they swapped the drive configuration by accident. I don't need it to do much, just light song sketching during commute and with a few plugins. It's replacing a 4 year old laptop with a i7 dual core (1 logical/core) and 8GB RAM that handled everything until the screen died.
Other system specs:
i7 8550U
12 GB RAM
Intel integrated video
Last edited by Steve Bolivar on Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Totally agree, that's backwards.
But what's the question?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:27 am Totally agree, that's backwards.
But what's the question?
Does this seem backwards to anyone else?
Is there any benefit to having it set up this way?
Other than slower boot up and app launching is there a downside if I run all apps, plugins and libraries from the C HDD drive and use the D SATA M.2 drive for my projects?
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Just reinstall windows and choose the drive yourself.
Yes there are shitloads of disadvantages to running to OS off the HDD, mainly, speed.

Steve Bolivar wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:16 pm
BertKoor wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:27 am Totally agree, that's backwards.
But what's the question?
Other than slower boot up and app launching is there a downside if I run all apps, plugins and libraries from the C HDD drive and use the D SATA M.2 drive for my projects?
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
It would work best to have music software and VSTs on one drive, preferably on the SSD and keep your samples and project files on the HDD drive. Why not buy a new bigger SSD drive to replace the HDD one? You could also get a SSD external drive.

I checked around and it I read most people say 128GB was on the small side to run Win10 on so just left it and am using it as project drive. Installed all effects and a slimmed down selection from Komplete Ultimate on the HDD and everything works good as a mobile audio sketchbook. Onboard audio with ASIO4ALL is solid at buffer of 128.

After the one year warranty expires I plan on swapping out the 128GB M.2 to 512GB one and making that the C drive, and swapping out the 1GB HDD for larger SSD and make that the D drive for libraries and projects.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”