Can I attach my Firewire audio Interface like this?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I need some advice please...

I have used the Apple..... 'Firewire to ThunderBolt 2 adapter' successfully for several years.

With my new iMac (Thunderbolt 3) I need to add another adapter.....

Steinberg MR816x -> Firewire to ThunderBolt 2 Adapter -> Display Port to Thunderbolt 3 adapter -> iMac.

Will the Thunderbolt 2 connector work plugged into a display port connector?

Thanks.

Hemmick Reef wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:20 pm Will the Thunderbolt 2 connector work plugged into a display port connector?
No! A mini display port is not Thunderbolt 2! The mini display port connectors are the same as TB2 or TB1. And Thunderbolt would carry those signals to the display. But what you suggest does not feed the Thunderbolt signals through, it only passes the display signals...
Thunderbolt 3 also shares USB 3.1 as connector TB3 passses the USB info. That means whenever you see a USB 3.1 plug, it does not necessarily know how to deal with Thunderbolt...

Thanks for the information.

I read somewhere that a mini display port won't carry the information needed by an apple monitor but would carry audio?

DisplayPort does carry audio, but assuming it survives an adapter to firewire is far stretched.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Mmm, I think it may be time to upgrade my audio interface?

My original Ultralite is connected via 3 dongles to my imac, fw 400 to 800 to old TB to newTB

Like a charm.

DisplayPort is not Thunderbolt. There’s no way to use a Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter on a DisplayPort connector. It doesn’t matter what the content of the signal is, the signaling/bus format is entirely different.

Thunderbolt can provide DisplayPort data, but a DisplayPort-only connector (same physical connector as Thunderbolt 1 & 2, but entirely different signaling and different label on the port) cannot provide anything but DisplayPort.

You can use a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter with a Thunderbolt 1 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter.

That means:

A Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 1 / 2 adapter can connect to a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter, and the device connected to the firewire port will work.

If the laptop connector has the Thunderbolt label on it (little electrical bolt) it’s good to go for Thunderbolt.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Display port was his error Above is my experience that actually works.

And an Imac is not a laptop

Thanks for the additional information.

This is the adapter in question:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... SJDOUZRD9R

Yes, I am also using a FW800>Thunderbolt2 adapter connected to a Thunderbolt2>Thunderbolt3 adapter to connect a FireWire audio interface to Macs with USB-C ports. I haven't encountered any issues with that configuration.

justin3am wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:00 pm Yes, I am also using a FW800>Thunderbolt2 adapter connected to a Thunderbolt2>Thunderbolt3 adapter to connect a FireWire audio interface to Macs with USB-C ports. I haven't encountered any issues with that configuration.
I assume you bought the Apple TB 2->3 adapter and not a third party adapter?

Yes, that is correct.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”