4K monitor question

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just got an X-Box One X - lovely powerful device but currently I'm still on a 1080p screen so wanting to change that in the near future to 4K too. However my MacMini, which shares the same screen via HDMI, is ancient, and I strongly doubt it's up to the task of driving a 4K screen. So what happens in that case; will it just refuse to work at all and leave me having to use 2 monitors, which is not ideal as I have limited space, or will the screen be able to switch between 1080p and 4k depending on input?

I wasn't able to get 60 hz refresh rate with HDMI. Without displayport max. 4K refresh rate was 30hz.
Monitor will switch between resolutions without trouble though.
~stratum~

Thanks - wonder if I use a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter?

My understanding is that the first version of HDMI itself is limited to 30hz for a 4K monitor.
Apparently there is a 2.0 version. While I could be wrong about this, as I said I couldn't get HDMI work at 60hz/4K. Displayport worked fine. Perhaps there is a Thunderbolt to Displayport adapter you could use?
~stratum~

I guess, they are similar anyway - assuming the new monitor has display port

XBox is using HDMI though and surely running higher than 30hz, maybe it has HDMI 2?

I don't know. My HDMI source was Nvidia GTX 1050. That one didn't work at 60Hz with HDMI. There are different HDMI versions, and apparently different HDMI cables at various quality levels also.
~stratum~

I've also got GTX 1050 and the only port able to support 4K @ 60 fps is DisplayPort.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

It seems to be possible with the Xbox One X though:

My guess is that it depends on the TV.

chk071 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:15 pm It seems to be possible with the Xbox One X though:

My guess is that it depends on the TV.
Yeah good, so I need to be careful to ask about that. Hopefully the extra grunt of the OneX also helps. I also want HDR support, so any recomendations?

P.S. to what i wrote above: I just checked on my Xbox One S which also supports 4k (at least for Blurays, and the Xbox's menus, due to the limited processing power, most games either run in 1080px or below), and, it shows that it's running at 4k 60 Hz, so, should be no problem. :) It's a bog standard UHD TV, so, it doesn't have HDR and all the other stuff shown in the picture above.

Even in 1080p Assassins Creed Origins and The Witcher 3 are stunningly beautiful, can't wait to see how they look in 4K (but will have to as spent up this month)

It's great. I always used to play on my PC, and, since i have my Xbox, i really prefer playing on such a big screen, relaxed with a controller sitting in the armchair. :)

4k should definitely up the experience a bit more even. Even though nowadays screen interpolate very well to lower resolutions (and, i think the Xbox also does some upscaling).

Oh it does, even my older DVDs seem much clearer

Time to decide on a screen then - does this look good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE50NU ... %2BTV&th=1

It needs to function as my screen for movies/games and Mac

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:50 pm Time to decide on a screen then - does this look good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE50NU ... %2BTV&th=1

It needs to function as my screen for movies/games and Mac
How deep into HDR do you want to go? Cheaper 4k TV's don't get bright enough to get you the true HDR experience. If you don't really care then it's probably a fine choice.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”