any future for MacBooks in music production ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Capitalism is just a word signaling that {private} investment is there to be grown: capitalized on. "My father sought always to retain his capital, enough for future ventures."

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:16 am I'm wanting to update to a new MacBook Pro or MacMini - not quite decided yet, but holding back because of the problems with RME USB interfaces that still seem unresolved.
For what it's worth, the head of our Engineering (IT) department at work was raving about the MacMini this morning. We're moving to a new location next year and he's already testing a lot of different configurations, so he has actual, hands-on experience and seems really impressed.
fmr wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:01 amNo, that's pure greed and ripoff of customers (abuse of dominant position, which is punishable by law).
Except that their share of the PC market is well below 10%, so they would have no problem saying they have no dominance.
Etienne1973 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:36 pm Image

Source: Is Apple About To Make Using A DAW On A Laptop Much Easier? Patent Suggest They Might.
Pro Tools Expert wrote:An Apple patent, first picked up by news website Inverse and then also reported by other Apple websites, suggest that Apple may be working in a laptop with a Retina display and a second ‘massive’ touchscreen that would work as both a keyboard and a second display.
So like that thing Lenovo announced last year, that supersedes the one before that, which had a giant graphics tablet kind of thing with a keyboard printed on it so you could type.
lnikj wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:59 pm Well, I wouldn't put it beyond possibility. It is basically taking the touchbar and making it bigger.
Typing on it would be a nightmare
So just like the current MAcBooks, then.
Etienne1973 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:40 pm What if Apple does something like Microsoft does with Windows Surface? Touchscreen with physical keyboard combination.
They won't do that because if they did, then they wouldn't be able to sell you a MacBook and an iPad.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Which I prefer.

The only portable Apple I need is an iPad, no need to pay for an Apple Surface Pro.

Really? Just the precept of your post - that the things you think you need are "Apple" first, not "tablet" or "computer". i.e. You choose a brand before you decide on the device. That is flawed thinking beyond belief.

What a normal person does is to look at their needs, decide on a form factor and features, then go and find a product that best fits those requirements. Once they find suitable products, they might then look at brands to try and choose which one to buy, but that would be so far through the process that it wouldn't make much of a difference to the outcome. That's why my last nine computers have been from six different brands - Sony, Samsung, Asus, Microsoft (2), Dell (3) and Acer. OTOH, you decide you want an "Apple", which instantly dismisses 94% of options, even before you start to think about anything else.

For me, the only computer I have needed for the last 12 years or so is a portable computer so having one that can do everything a desktop can, and my current 2-in-1 can do absolutely everything the MacPro I use at work can do (often more easily), whilst also offering all the convenience of a tablet, is as close to perfect as I am likely to find. Meanwhile, you are either anchored to a desk or unable to do all the things you might want or need to do, which throws up many more compromises compared to having one device to rule them all.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I need an iPad to run iPad music apps on. It's made by Apple. No need to sweat the details.

I take you calling my thinking flawed as a compliment. Please believe that.

And why do you "need" iPad music apps? They aren't compatible with the software on your Mac, are they? It's a poor attempt at justification. That you take logical, reasoned, objective criticism as a compliment merely shows what a total bell-end you are.
Last edited by BONES on Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Behave ! I get a lot of use out of my iPad for noodling in bed and on the sofa, it has some amazing sound sources that have no parallel on the desktop, and great control apps too. Android is lagging behind in this department.

I hope it will be as easy to get audio, midi and OSC out from it and into Windows/Linux environment when I switch shortly as it is on a Mac (probably not !).

BONES wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:38 am And why do you "need" iPad music apps? They aren't compatible with the software on your Max, are they? It's a poor attempt at justification. That you take logical, reasoned, objective criticism as a compliment merely shows what a total bell-end you are.
wanker.gif

I really value your opinion.

I wish people would would stop telling other people how to think, or how thick they are, or how bad their judgement is.

Treat others the way you expect to be treated. Jeesh, no wonder this community has the reputation it has.

BONES wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:45 am Really? Just the precept of your post - that the things you think you need are "Apple" first, not "tablet" or "computer". i.e. You choose a brand before you decide on the device. That is flawed thinking beyond belief.
Straw man argument. Dismissed.
BONES wrote: What a normal person does is to look at their needs, decide on a form factor and features, then go and find a product that best fits those requirements.
And your straw man, being a fabrication of your own in order to ridicule other people in your never-ending quest for a superior impression on an internet forum, can never have done.

I don't use Windows in the first place out of certain pragmatism, avoidance of problems I know I won't have. You'll argue that acting like no one who doesn't "think" like you has any business having that viewpoint, that it's just a subjective viewpoint (itself a subjective viewpoint), and then posture some more about how it's all reasoned, logical, objective and just the truth. And now choices which, purely because of your subjective dislike of need be "justified".

It's producing the opposite of the sort of superior reasoning pose you want. It's not only stupid it's childish.

Damn, indeed it is so stupid that people think they know what other people should use or what is better. And they talk about things they never really used or do not have a slight clue what they can do actually (because it is easy to do all the things mentioned and even it can do more than all the other hard- and software in some cases). So spreading misinformation and try to teach their "religion" seems the only reason. Maybe some deeper psychological problems? I don´t know.
It is beyond stupid....I mean, really how can someone write so much bullshit and seems really to believe this crap.
But fanatics do such things and mostly it get worse when they get older.
So better to ignore these people.....

Yeah, it is.

"And they talk about things they never really used..."
Re: the glass surface would be nightmare to type on
BONES wrote:So just like the current MAcBooks, then.
I have no idea how a regurgitated bit off the internet is a meaningful diss, let alone is objective or rational.

Objectively one thing which made me go for the particular computer was the benchmark of rendering video. I'm pretty sure no windows box made by whatever entity is integrated with Final Cut Pro or Da Vinci Resolve and optimized like this for this task. And again it is insanely fast at this.

jancivil wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:11 pm Yeah, it is.

"And they talk about things they never really used..."
Re: the glass surface would be nightmare to type on
BONES wrote:So just like the current MAcBooks, then.
I have no idea how a regurgitated bit off the internet is a meaningful diss, let alone is objective or rational.

Objectively one thing which made me go for the particular computer was the benchmark of rendering video. I'm pretty sure no windows box made by whatever entity is integrated with Final Cut Pro or Da Vinci Resolve and optimized like this for this task. And again it is insanely fast at this.
Of course all depends on workflow, needs, likings etc. And of course i accept that some things are crap for others. But there are people which left their hardware and desktops for notebooks or even tablets, vice versa or just combine all these things.
But of course "teaching" people the way we see here from this special person is a bit strange and it is just hard to take anything serious from this person. Like someone out of the medieval going on a crusade.
I also prefer tactile feedback indeed and my macbook pro is still the best choice for me personally in terms of power/mobility right now. I do not care if i get the same tools for each device i own. I use midi input in all forms as well, a normal keyboard, a Seaboard Rise, my macbook keyboard even or just a flat glass surface (which works even better in some cases). Some people just seems to be stuck in their own world and it is O.K. as long as they still can imagine that there are other meanings, workflows.

If there was more of the glass like the Touchbar I'd use it. (I mean as long as it's implemented for use, certain things are with the Touchbar.) I don't personally find the trackbar an ideal control mechanism alone. I like this one better than I did, albeit it's not very different. It has a tiny bit more 'traction' somehow, which works for me. For getting to certain things in teh DAW, the glass may feel better.

I like the lighter touch on the keys, which took a week or so to adjust to. I type somewhat rapidly and I still give it more velocity than it needs.
I was watching a VSL demo and the guy had a touchscreen he was using for crossfade and other CC and it looked part of the keyboard but I noticed finally it was an iPad. That looks better than anything I have for it, for me.

BONES wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:24 pm
Etienne1973 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:40 pm What if Apple does something like Microsoft does with Windows Surface? Touchscreen with physical keyboard combination.
They won't do that because if they did, then they wouldn't be able to sell you a MacBook and an iPad.
On the other hand the fusion of macOS and iOS is inevitable I guess.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”