any future for MacBooks in music production ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jacqueslacouth wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:40 am Now don't get me wrong, I am an Apple user of many years but this thread prompted me to go look at the current MBPs and one thing just leapt out and screamed at me....AU$5120 for a 4TB SSD :o
I mean seriously...What the ACTUAL F*CK???

2 minutes later I find a 4TB SSD for AU$790...How in Fark does anyone get sucked into this absolute BS?
Apple don't want users to properly spec and update their computers, because that would mean they will maintain them for longer. That's why they solder everything to the MoBo, and ask you an arm and a leg to spec them properly at purchase time :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:37 am
jancivil wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:26 am I believe in multicore distribution of load as a pragmatic sort, so I use instruments in VE Pro which you see using more than one core there.
Ypu mean you NEVER load any VI directly in Nuendo, but always use VE Pro for that?
I use Reaktor Skanner in Nuendo and I have used Reaktor Space Drone in Cubase. 1) in order to get automation lanes via interacting by mouse or trackpad and 2) because you have to record it to even use it.

If I'm using an effect on audio, that's in Cubendo, other than those cases it's all VE Pro. I don't know what Activity Monitor would look like with all of it in Nuendo, I've done it this way since 2010 or so.

fmr wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:42 am
jacqueslacouth wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:40 am Now don't get me wrong, I am an Apple user of many years but this thread prompted me to go look at the current MBPs and one thing just leapt out and screamed at me....AU$5120 for a 4TB SSD :o
I mean seriously...What the ACTUAL F*CK???

2 minutes later I find a 4TB SSD for AU$790...How in Fark does anyone get sucked into this absolute BS?
Apple don't want users to properly spec and update their computers, because that would mean they will maintain them for longer. That's why they solder everything to the MoBo, and ask you an arm and a leg to spec them properly at purchase time :hihi:
They gouged on components before they started those practices. It's called capitalism.

I said the other day I regretted not getting more storage, then he said 5000 dollars so I looked it up. I do not regret not paying that money. If I absolutely need more I'm going external and looking if there's something which uses the new USB whatever it is. I hate that shit, I have no clue.

"The only way I found to disable it when I was investigating the problems was to turn off SIP..."

I may have SIP turned off actually. Pretty sure I do. But I remember you mentioned it in the other thread, it's a mystery to me. The only thing in 'Errors and Faults' are the Cubase 10 crashes (demoed that); a synsopos crash (when shit that was using it was running; actually it hung); a Finder crash (hang) FFS.
Last edited by jancivil on Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jancivil wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:46 am They gouged on components before they started those practices. It's called capitalism.
No, that's pure greed and ripoff of customers (abuse of dominant position, which is punishable by law). Apple has been managing to get over with those practices due to their size and influence over institutions and governments (those and others, like tax evading).

Capitalism is based on fair trade, and fair trade means it has to be good for all parts involved.
Last edited by fmr on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Well, it's capitalism run a bit amok, which should be regulated IMO but that's HPC material here.

Source: Is Apple About To Make Using A DAW On A Laptop Much Easier? Patent Suggest They Might.
Pro Tools Expert wrote:An Apple patent, first picked up by news website Inverse and then also reported by other Apple websites, suggest that Apple may be working in a laptop with a Retina display and a second ‘massive’ touchscreen that would work as both a keyboard and a second display.

Well, I wouldn't put it beyond possibility. It is basically taking the touchbar and making it bigger.

Typing on it would be a nightmare but at least the keyboard won't fail ;)

jancivil wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:02 am Well, it's capitalism run a bit amok, which should be regulated IMO but that's HPC material here.
I'd rather call it consumerism. Obviously there's a big market for people shelling out loads of money for overpriced products. Apple just serve.

fmr wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:01 am No, that's pure greed and ripoff of customers (abuse of dominant position, which is punishable by law). Apple has been managing to get over with those practices due to their size and influence over institutions and governments (those and others, like tax evading).

Capitalism is based on fair trade, and fair trade means it has to be good for all parts involved.
Not in the USA it isn’t. The USA’s laissez-faire capitalism has nothing to do with “fair trade” or “good for all parties”. It’s about exploitation.

As a side note to price comparison folks: when comparing SSD prices, be sure to compare like interfaces. SATA SSD hardware is usually cheaper than PCIe SSD hardware (Apple’s current internal SSD isn’t driven by SATA).

Also: When looking for the fastest external storage, attaching a SATA-interfaced device to a thunderbolt port will defeat the benefits of a thunderbolt connection. For that, you need super expensive products, by comparison.

I’m not defending Apple’s abusive capitalism, but these details matter when making accurate price comparisons.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Etienne1973 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:36 pm Image

Source: Is Apple About To Make Using A DAW On A Laptop Much Easier? Patent Suggest They Might.
Pro Tools Expert wrote:An Apple patent, first picked up by news website Inverse and then also reported by other Apple websites, suggest that Apple may be working in a laptop with a Retina display and a second ‘massive’ touchscreen that would work as both a keyboard and a second display.
This is probably just a patent for the sake of patenting and being there first. Lawsuit protection (or insurance). Apple file lots of these. The US patent system is frelled.

Any such device would suck to type on. That’s already pretty clear, since Apple offers a physical keyboard for iPads (and they’re not the best, either, but they work a million times better than the onscreen keyboard, unless all you can do is hunt and peck with one finger).

I’m hoping Apple designers and product managers aren’t so foolish as to attempt to turn us toward flat glass panels for keyboards. A proper mechanical keyboard with e-ink dynamic key cap labeling would be welcome (another thing they filed a patent for and have done nothing with).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

What if Apple does something like Microsoft does with Windows Surface? Touchscreen with physical keyboard combination.

fmr wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:01 am
jancivil wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:46 am They gouged on components before they started those practices. It's called capitalism.
No, that's pure greed and ripoff of customers (abuse of dominant position, which is punishable by law). Apple has been managing to get over with those practices due to their size and influence over institutions and governments (those and others, like tax evading).

Capitalism isn’t based on any of the above. It’s defined by private individuals and companies trading for profit. It doesn’t have to fair in any sense of the word, just that entities are in private ownership.
Sweet child in time...

For Apple gouging practices to become colorable action in the US it would tend to be somewhere in the resemblance of basically an Antitrust suit and there is really a vanishing probability of that being viable. They do not make competition impossible. The notion that it abuses a dominant position is going to be refuted by the sheer fact of Microsoft, isn't it? Which is probably the more dominant in the marketplace to begin with. So if my problem is the cost of this 32GB RAM the argument is already here, buy a differently configured computer then, from the competition.

I could possibly put RAM in myself as I did with the big computer a decade ago. Seems probable, but I haven't verified it by anything. It was enormously cheaper than Apple's prices.

On mine you could make the Touchbar twice as large but not more without crimping the trackpad. I would use it, I use the Touchbar for volume and whenever it appears. It's less wear and tear.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”