any future for MacBooks in music production ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mgw38 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:05 pm The reports I‘ve read seem to indicate that the T2 chip bug is only relevant for setups with a USB 2.0 audio interface. The system is supposed to accidentally overload the USB with more information than the 2.0 connection can handle. But a USB3.0 or Thunderbolt audio interface should be fine.
It happens on the internal sound too.

From what I have seen so far there is more than one bug here. Many reports talk about Time and Location daemons but I had glitches caused by the SmartBatteryManager daemon spiking the first core every minute.

I also think there are multiple bugs at play here. Most people seem to do fine after switching to a Thunderbolt interface. There is most likely a secondary issue somewhere.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

The author of the article posted on the previous page tested T2 with USB and Thunderbolt interfaces, both produced audio crackles and dropouts, so nothing seems fine.

In all fairness, he based that observation on „limited testing” without giving any specifics what exactly he did. Most people report the opposite.

The specific thing the focus is on, a periodic interruption of audio going either way, has never happened here. (I use the internal sound.) There may be *some* issue but that one never happens here and I work most days and close to full time sort of hours. I've seen people seize on the assertion but anecdotes are not demonstrative. Mine isn't either, but the issue that has been reported widely has been demonstrated consistently.

I have an horrendous issue with Cubase 10, total garbage noise out of nowhere. Which I haven't had since I turned off Automatic Time Zone (related to the "Timed" Daemon). Correlation, not necessarily cause. But it's something I have never experienced anything like.

I think I'll just take the plunge, by a small UA Thunderbolt interface on top and keep my fingers crossed. I need Logic on stage so there is no alternative anyway.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 6:02 am I think I'll just take the plunge, by a small UA Thunderbolt interface on top and keep my fingers crossed. I need Logic on stage so there is no alternative anyway.
Good luck. Let us know how you get on. If you want to test it on arrival for the reproducible problem I had then the first post in this thread lays out the instructions:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... d-bug.html

lnikj wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:40 am
Sampleconstruct wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 6:02 am I think I'll just take the plunge, by a small UA Thunderbolt interface on top and keep my fingers crossed. I need Logic on stage so there is no alternative anyway.
Good luck. Let us know how you get on. If you want to test it on arrival for the reproducible problem I had then the first post in this thread lays out the instructions:

Thanks, I will probably not try to reproduce the problem :) - but eventually probably will reproduce it anyway.

lnikj wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:40 am

I noticed there:
(separate user for audio work)
"On that user do not setup iCloud. Turn off Siri. Disable Notifications. Make sure you don’t have Bluetooth PAN as a Network Device. Then get the free app called Onyx and use it to turn off Spotlight indexing."
This is default for me anyway, except recently I found Mojave's Spotlight indexing handling a probable factor in major hanging so I disabled that in Terminal. (ridding me of the behavior)
The OS is doing too much which I just don't need at all to begin with.

I found in Console this 'polling' in the search 'battery' but it doesn't affect the audio here (Cubase, high buffers).

And important if you go on stage, switch off wlan! If its not logged in it will search every minute...

Yes, spotlight indexing is a major draw. At the minimum this needs to be disabled for any sample drives. I also found that Time Machine can interfere with the efficiency of the machine. I had to turn that off as well at some point. Not to mention all the security software. Any “real time” security scanning can potentially grind the system to a near halt.

Yeah, don't automatically back up w Time Machine, that can ruin you. I got a new backup drive and stupidly didn't notice the default was automatically back up, and problems I can in all probability trace directly to it (they stopped with it off) occur. All this cute stuff, seems worse with Mojave.

Very detailed analysis of the keyboard problem, concluding that Apple's 'dust' explanation is probably bullsh*t:

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments ... ples_dust/

Linked from that page is this analysis of the heat problems (which were another reason I returned it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=947op8yKJRY

Got the new MBP today, installing/authorizing everything now, can't get the UA interface Arrow to be recognized which seems to be a permission issue, I'll sort it out...

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”