AMD Ryzen 3rd gen. ZEN 2 processors for audio PC

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

To save people from having to watch 22 minutes of that: he likes the Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus. It runs relatively cool for its cheap price.

Pete's comparative cpu tests are excellent, but not being an SGA user I am wondering, does anyone know, however approximately, how one instance of say the high quality setting used in the latest test compares to a soft synth;-any of the more well known vsts would be helpful as I have no idea at all of the scale of the relationship between the two.
Thanks

Subject drying out for two weeks at this point ,.... hmmmm ,.... lets just stick to 9900K :-)
HM

I heard that AMD has even stolen Intel's single-thread crown after many years, or decades even.

HM wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:51 am Subject drying out for two weeks at this point ,.... hmmmm ,.... lets just stick to 9900K :-)
Not when a 12 core AMD at #1 is smoking an 18 core Intel thusly...

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/desktop.html

...not daw relative marks, but still..

e-crooner wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:56 pm I heard that AMD has even stolen Intel's single-thread crown after many years, or decades even.
Where did you hear that? At the regulars' table of your local pub?

chk071 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:45 am
e-crooner wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:56 pm I heard that AMD has even stolen Intel's single-thread crown after many years, or decades even.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Scanaudio has been quiet lately.... I though they were going to release the results of some new memory dependent tests for the Ryzens. Perhaps things still still too fluid to justify the testing time?

e-crooner wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:10 am
chk071 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:45 am
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
I guess it really depends where you're looking, and how it is tested. First time i read about that.

So the hottest new CPU is still only twice as "fast" (single threaded) as my ageing AMD FX 8350? That does surprise me. (Although the "number of samples" is 192 for the top vs ~16K for my FX, so not exactly like for like...)

pljones wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:00 pm So the hottest new CPU is still only twice as "fast" (single threaded) as my ageing AMD FX 8350? That does surprise me. (Although the "number of samples" is 192 for the top vs ~16K for my FX, so not exactly like for like...)
Yes the single threaded scores are not anywhere near Moore's law (should be retired and called Moore's Trail of Broken Dreams). Relative to my 3930K which is what 6 years old now the latest builds give me about 50% more single core performance which is a bit of a letdown there.

However the multithreaded performance is very impressive and if your DAW can use the cores you'll have a smile on your face in most cases.
Last edited by Scotty on Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pljones wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:00 pm So the hottest new CPU is still only twice as "fast" (single threaded) as my ageing AMD FX 8350? That does surprise me. (Although the "number of samples" is 192 for the top vs ~16K for my FX, so not exactly like for like...)
Hey pljones is that your main DAW computer just curious ? I'm on an i7 920 6gb ram , I think I'm gonna ditch my FireWire EchoAudiofire4 and get a new Focusrite 4i4 before I blow the cash on a new build .. Seems Windows10 and the EchoAudiofire4 are not liking each other as much these days ... I mainly use drum samples types of VSTi , loops , and record audio , no big CPU taxing softsynths , so I just feel I don't quite need the ROBUST power of a new CPU and computer build , So is that your main DAW computer ???

<OT>
Well... "main" in the sense I do my "offline" work on it and it's still fine for that, using my FW Echo AudioFire4 - but I have to use ASIO4All when I'm using MuLab. Meanwhile, Reaper is OK with it. Weird but with Echo having dropped any idea of keeping drivers up to date, there you are.

My "live" kit is a Core i5 8600 ITX box with a Zoom UAC-2. It's not perfect. (I get audio glitches which I can't diagnose - buffer size doesn't fix them...)
</OT>

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”