AMD Ryzen 3rd gen. ZEN 2 processors for audio PC

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade from a 2700x, and I'm having a tough time comparing with these charts.

My use case is a little specific, I do sound for games so I often have gamedev tools running at the same time as my audio software.

On the game software side, there are some things I need to do that would utilize the extra cores in the 3900x, saving me 10~15 minutes per day (and some days, 2 hours). So I can see a real benefit there.

The 3700x offers a smaller performance bump while drawing less power and generating less heat. I can't run my 2700x and a house fan without tripping a breaker, so this is attractive ;)

The missing piece of the puzzle for me is the difference in saw performance between these three. I know it's only one processor generation, but these Zen 2 chips look really attractive, and I use it every day for work so I will spend the money if it's a worthy upgrade.
Last edited by ajohnsonsfx on Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mpoijwxxwipjtfhtgdrwxdfxgb
Last edited by Obsolete317542 on Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:tu:

ajohnsonsfx wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:28 pm I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade from a 2700x, and I'm having a tough time comparing with these charts.

My use case is a little specific, I do sound for games so I often have gamedev tools running at the same time as my audio software.

On the game software side, there are some things I need to do that would utilize the extra cores in the 3900x, saving me 10~15 minutes per day (and some days, 2 hours). So I can see a real benefit there.

The 3700x offers a smaller performance bump while drawing less power and generating less heat. I can't run my 2700x and a house fan without tripping a breaker, so this is attractive ;)

The missing piece of the puzzle for me is the difference in saw performance between these three. I know it's only one processor generation, but these Zen 2 chips look really attractive, and I use it every day for work so I will spend the money if it's a worthy upgrade.
Wait for the 3950x, it should be amazing.

SiliconDeath wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:49 pm
ajohnsonsfx wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:28 pm I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade from a 2700x, and I'm having a tough time comparing with these charts.

That may be the case, but I still don't have a clear understanding of how the 2000 & 3000 series of CPUs compare for DAW work, and i'm kind of obsessing about it haha

Well last week I built my new rig using a x570 Gigabyte Aorus ultra, with a Ryzen 3600,nvme Corsair MP600 PCIe gen 4 drive, replacing my crusty old intel i5 4460, and its a huge difference, immediately bringing my latency down to under 9ms, @128 samples, which is enough for me, may go lower, as I havent tweaked anything yet, been busy downloading and reinstalling Komplete12 etc. Its an impressive jump in performance all round.
Ableton Live 11,Push 3/Deepmind 12D, Roland VT4, TR-8S, Roland Fantom 06, Zoom MS-70CDR

ajohnsonsfx wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:10 pm
SiliconDeath wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:49 pm

That may be the case, but I still don't have a clear understanding of how the 2000 & 3000 series of CPUs compare for DAW work, and i'm kind of obsessing about it haha
Have you looked at these numbers http://www.scanproaudio.info/2018/10/19 ... e-refresh/ http://www.scanproaudio.info/2019/07/12 ... ic-number/ ? The results from older benchmark can't be transformed 1:1, but you can sort of gauge things, seeing some CPUs appear on both tests. Check the GS thread, as there's people discussing results from the tests.

Goony wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:31 am Well last week I built my new rig using a x570 Gigabyte Aorus ultra, with a Ryzen 3600,nvme Corsair MP600 PCIe gen 4 drive, replacing my crusty old intel i5 4460, and its a huge difference, immediately bringing my latency down to under 9ms, @128 samples, which is enough for me, may go lower, as I havent tweaked anything yet, been busy downloading and reinstalling Komplete12 etc. Its an impressive jump in performance all round.
What soundcard or audio interface are you using ? Just curious ? I'm fixing to go from an i7 920 to an AMD 3600 so just interested in what audio interface or soundcard .... Fixing to ditch my EchoAudiofire4 ....

fedexnman wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:16 pmFixing to ditch my EchoAudiofire4 ....
Mine got "replaced" with a Zoom UAC-2 -- that is, I've still got the AF4 on my "old" PC but my new build got the Zoom - I couldn't get a decent Firewire interface for the ITX board in it and, as you'll be aware... the drivers...

I'm eye balling the Focusrite 4i4 3rd gen that just came out ... Its pretty much similar to the Echo AF4 with the inputs and outputs and also dirt cheap.

It seems that the AMD Overclocking tool throttles a bit, people who deleted Ryzen Master gain plus 200+ mhz instantly

https://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulleti ... st12050213

Belka wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:43 am It seems that the AMD Overclocking tool throttles a bit, people who deleted Ryzen Master gain plus 200+ mhz instantly

https://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulleti ... st12050213
Should be called AMD Underclocking Tool

fedexnman wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:29 pm I'm eye balling the Focusrite 4i4 3rd gen that just came out ...
Avoid Focusrite, one of the worst driver support, their Saffire firewire range was great, their USB range isn't. Benhringer is quite decent in that lower price range, U-Phoria UMC404HD.

fedexnman wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:16 pm
Goony wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:31 am Well last week I built my new rig using a x570 Gigabyte Aorus ultra, with a Ryzen 3600,nvme Corsair MP600 PCIe gen 4 drive, replacing my crusty old intel i5 4460, and its a huge difference, immediately bringing my latency down to under 9ms, @128 samples, which is enough for me, may go lower, as I havent tweaked anything yet, been busy downloading and reinstalling Komplete12 etc. Its an impressive jump in performance all round.
What soundcard or audio interface are you using ? Just curious ? I'm fixing to go from an i7 920 to an AMD 3600 so just interested in what audio interface or soundcard .... Fixing to ditch my EchoAudiofire4 ....
I use a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd gen. NO issues with it for past year or so since I got it :)
Ableton Live 11,Push 3/Deepmind 12D, Roland VT4, TR-8S, Roland Fantom 06, Zoom MS-70CDR

Goony wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:29 pm
fedexnman wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:16 pm
I use a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd gen. NO issues with it for past year or so since I got it :)
Thanks I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Scarlett 4i4 then thanks .

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”