iMac Thunderbolt 3 -> firewire?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I've just upgraded to a new iMac and the thunderbolt port has changed from 2 to 3... basically in terms of connection, it's smaller so my existing connector is redundant!

Any suggestions for attaching Firewire to Thunderbolt?

Thanks

You need two adapters, the old thunderbolt -> firewire plus a Thunderbolt 3 -> Thunderbolt 2 adapter...

Thanks for the reply.

Problem is finding a Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter.

I have the firewire to Thunderbolt 2 so I can plug my audio interface in to my old Mac, but other than an apple £50 adapter there are no 3rd party adapters that seem to do the job?

Yes, I think the Apple one is the only one...
But write a letter to some Chinese manufactures, they might have missed that market (or are not interested because of Trumps customs), or simply wait...

The Apple is the cheapest (probably because they don't have to licence it from themselves) but there are units from Startech and a few other firms kicking about.

Some interfaces work better on the Startech, some on the Apple. Consult your interface makers FAQ.

Kaine wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:48 pm The Apple is the cheapest (probably because they don't have to licence it from themselves) but there are units from Startech and a few other firms kicking about.

Some interfaces work better on the Startech, some on the Apple. Consult your interface makers FAQ.

Ok, thanks, will do.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”