Question regarding Vienna Ensemble Pro and Gigabit Switch

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,

I want to work with 1 master and 2 slaves computers in Vienna Ensemble Pro.

I've read I need a Gigabit Switch to connect the three together.

Since I have two lan ports on each computer, I can have internet on a separate port of the master, so I don't actually need internet signal on the two slaves.

My questions are:

- Do I have to connect the Gigabit Switch to the home internet router, to make it work? Or can I just plug in its ports the three computers to create a network?

- If I DO have to connect the Gigabit Switch to home router, will the router speed affect the audio transfer speed between master and slave? (I ask since my home router is an old one, at 100Mbps, not a gigabit).

Ideally, I would prefer to connect master and two slaves to the Gigabit Switch, without having it connected to the internet router, but will it work?

Thanks a lot in advance!

I dont use VEP but I do do some networking stuff.
Grape_Brotherhood wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:16 am - Do I have to connect the Gigabit Switch to the home internet router, to make it work? Or can I just plug in its ports the three computers to create a network?
No, you dont have to connect the router to the switch. But you would probably have to manually set up static IP addresses for the three PC network ports on the gigabit switch, since there'll be no DHCP server running.
- If I DO have to connect the Gigabit Switch to home router, will the router speed affect the audio transfer speed between master and slave? (I ask since my home router is an old one, at 100Mbps, not a gigabit).
As long as the systems are connnected via gigabit, (and the network cards are gigabit), then this should work fine at gigabit speeds.
Its similar to what I have at home; I have a broadband box that's a 100Mb router connected to a 4-way gigabit switch to a couple more 4-way gigabit switches in a different room. (The only part of my (wired) network constrained to 100Mb is that one connection, and it's still faster than my broadband speed anyway.)
Also, you probably wont have to do any network settings yourself.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Don't place the internet router before the switch to VE Pro. If you don't have wireless for internet and this takes up one port out you need a switch.

But with VE Pro you must have a static address for both/all.
all Subnet Masks to 255.255.255.0

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”