Moving to a Mac, what should I know?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would say if you're going to stay with Cubase, get VE Pro if you have major latency like I did (EDIT: I'm talking about MIDI to soft instruments). I still have a higher buffer setting than looks good but the latency of VE Pro is compensated quite well with Cubase and Nuendo, so I can work smoothly. VE Pro used to use only AU on OSX but they added VST support. There are 1 or 2 things, older things, where the GUI is borked in the AU so that's nice.

NB: to reiterate and be clear regarding a caveat, I'm using high buffers with tolerable latency because it's compensating pretty accurately. YMMV. And this is a very demanding load for numerous reasons, thus the high buffering #s.
Last edited by jancivil on Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keyman_sam wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:04 pm
Acknowledgement wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:58 am Cubase performs much poorer on OS X compared to Windows (I use both). Consider Logic as well. Good luck.
I’ve heard this often. Which version? What about 9.5?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjU3ISBeTFo

So this guy tested it on SAME machine, which plenty of people claiming poor OS X performance these days actually don't do, also there's another variable even on same machine, sound card drivers and coding of plugins for both platforms, even Steinberg had issues till recently with it, plenty of devs. still do.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:19 pm I am a big fan of Apples time machine, it doesn‘t eat space as it is incremental like super duper or carbon copy cloner. But I would not put it on a NAS. If you really need to go back, its slooow. Get a dedicated hard drive twice as big as your internal, set it up and forget it. It will do its magic alone...
I also would instal AU and VST together...
AFAIK, Time Machine doesn't replace files with new copies, it simply creates "new" backups each time (at least that's what I read in the instructions - as I said, I don't use it). But maybe you can configure it otherwise :shrug:

In CCC, you may keep the older files, but it recognizes which files are the same, and doesn't create new copies of them. And you may delete the old files from previous backups that were replaced in the backup by newer versions (they are kept for safety reasons, in a special folder, which you can delete afterward, since most likely you will not want them).

But hey... if you are happy with Time Machine, be my guest. I'm happy with CCC, and I will keep using it, also because I can use the backup disk as a system disk to boot from it if I want so (it's a full functioning system disk, something you can't say about the Time Machine backup).
Fernando (FMR)

The time machine is using hard links to keep unchanged files without creating a copy and still keeping the file structure of your older setup. You simply do not need to think about it! Deleted a crucial file two weeks ago? Just go back. Changed something into an unusable crap? Just go back to the time you remember it was working and there it sits waiting to be recovered. Thinking about the space of your drive is a waist of time nowadays...
Time machine is about setting (choose the drive and thats it) and forgetting. You can do the exact same with CCC with the advantage of having a bootable system ready to run. Just the setting is easier with the time machine. CCC is more flexible and has also more use cases...
But there you need to know what you do...

Time Machine...I've had a couple of hiccups with it, possibly the HDD. For the most part, it is very good and has saved my butt a few times.
I would also echo the advice regarding OS upgrades, although with Mojave, I decided to jump in, rather than wait. This was, for me, an anomaly, but having read how they've fixed the new APFS system to work with Fusion Drives, I decided to do it. I'f I'd had my way, I would still be on El Capitan, but the Logic upgrades were too tempting. Now, I'll get the next couple of major Logic updates without worrying about OS upgrading. I really don't like how Apple ties its Logic upgrades to OS upgrades, and it did screw up my Mac-Mini, although it is possible it was faulty to begin with. I'll never know. From now on, I am returning to being conservative and wary. I hope to have this computer for 2-3 more years, so I won't need to update the OS. I hope.
As for DAW, I'd choose Logic. For €200, it's a no brainer. Lots of good softsyths (Alchemy is my current fave), good FX, decent stock VIs, and lots of resources out there to learn the program.
I have a very good audio interface, can track at 64 sample buffer for most things, which gives a latency of 4.4 ms.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

keyman_sam wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:04 pm
Acknowledgement wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:58 am Cubase performs much poorer on OS X compared to Windows (I use both). Consider Logic as well. Good luck.
I’ve heard this often. Which version? What about 9.5?

That indeed use to be the case, but since Asio Guard I really haven't been noticing it.
I have two systems, a mac and pc... And whilst the pc has better specs, I move projects between the two all the time and I haven't found the mac not keeping up.

Nuendo 8.2 | Gigabyte GAX79UP4 : Intel Hex Core 4930K : 32GB | Windows 10 64bit | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro | UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 9.5 | MacBookPro Retina 2.8Ghz Quad Core I7 : 16GB | 10.12.6 | NI Komplete Audio 6 | UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt Quad |

rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”