Getting Thunderbolt to work for UAD Apollo with Asus X99-Deluxe ii and Asus EX3

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I am trying to get the UAD Apollo Twin Mk2 to work with my PC.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Motherboard is Asus X99-Deluxe ii with Asus Thunderbolt EX 3 card

CPU is Intel i7-6800K

I'm using the StarTech Thunderbolt adapter.

I've got the latest drivers installed for the EX3 card. Also go the latest Thunderbolt software.

There are no devices showing up, and no indication that the Thunderbolt drivers are loading/being mounted in Windows.

I installed the UAD software.

The device is supposed to work with this setup according to UAD.

But from what I can tell, I can't even get the EX3 card to function properly.

I removed the card from the 16_2 slot it was first tried in and tried it in 16_5. I then tried 16_4.

The BIOS seem to detect the card, as the Thunderbolt vanishes from the bios menu when the card is removed.

Also, when I put the card in 16_4, the graphics card changed from being x16 native to x8 native.

I've been at this for days now and it is breaking me.

Any advice or help welcome. I really want it to work!

Thanks in advance.

Have you plugged the card into the Thunderbolt header on your motherboard? Also, on some boards the thunderbolt card needs to be placed in a specific PCIe slot; you should check your mobo manual to see if this is the case. (It may need to be placed in one of the PCIe slots that are routed to the chipset rather than the CPU.)

Edit: It's on page 1-30 of this manual. Further down in the manual, they illustrate the EX3 card installed in the bottom slot, but that may not be the specific slot used on your motherboard. https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/L ... UM_WEB.pdf

Yes, tried it in every slot.

Make sure to update the motherboard BIOS and the Thunderbolt card firmware.

https://youtu.be/-W6n3OEIHjE

Yea, already done. Still zippo.

Try UAD tech support :shrug:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I am... they are unhelpful so far

Can you post a picture of the card installed on your motherboard?

Also, do you have your videocard signal routed into your Thunderbolt card? (This sounds stupid because it is, but because the Thunderbolt spec mandates that it carries video, you have to run a video signal into the Thunderbolt card for it to work.)

Also I just thought of another step to see where the problem might be, can you see the Thunderbolt card in the windows device manager?

D.Man.2018 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:12 pm Hi,

I am trying to get the UAD Apollo Twin Mk2 to work with my PC.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Motherboard is Asus X99-Deluxe ii with Asus Thunderbolt EX 3 card

CPU is Intel i7-6800K

I'm using the StarTech Thunderbolt adapter.

I've got the latest drivers installed for the EX3 card. Also go the latest Thunderbolt software.

There are no devices showing up, and no indication that the Thunderbolt drivers are loading/being mounted in Windows.

I installed the UAD software.

The device is supposed to work with this setup according to UAD.

But from what I can tell, I can't even get the EX3 card to function properly.

I removed the card from the 16_2 slot it was first tried in and tried it in 16_5. I then tried 16_4.

The BIOS seem to detect the card, as the Thunderbolt vanishes from the bios menu when the card is removed.

Also, when I put the card in 16_4, the graphics card changed from being x16 native to x8 native.

I've been at this for days now and it is breaking me.

Any advice or help welcome. I really want it to work!

Thanks in advance.
Not to be that guy, but if you've found a solution to your issue, please post an update so people searching in the future can also benefit :)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”