Change from Win 7 to Win 10

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello! There is an error within my Win 7-version (64bit), so I had to make a new installation to get the problem fixed.
Now, I am asking myself, if I should change to Win 10 per upgrade. So I have a few questions
- I found the information that within this upgrade programs and datas are being transferred from the older to the newer win-system. Is that right? Will there be a full or almost full functionality of most of the programs (f. ex. the DAW -> Reaper, Band-in-a-box, Native Instruments Komplete) and the other plugins (64 and 32bit) on the new windows-system?
- Concerning music-making, is there an important difference between the win 10 pro- and home-version? Would you recommend the win 10 pro- and home-version?
- If I make the upgrade (with the Win10-upgrade-tool); is there something I should know? I read for exemple, you should delete the antivir-programs first before upgrading.

I would backup current system and do a fresh install.
That's what I did, my only gripe was the start menu, bloatware apps and telemetry.
10 Pro adds encryption and more control and features.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Yeah. A fresh install is always the best.

A fresh install will delete everything. So, if you have programs authorized that use other methods other than serial numbers (challenge-response, soft iLOK, soft eLicenser, etc), you will need to unauthorize all of them before.

OTOH, a direct upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 is possible. I disagree that there is any benefit installing Windows 10 fresh, other than what there is in ANY fresh install (meaning start over, from scratch). But you will have to restore all your files, definitions, preferences, etc., and reinstall all your application. A real PITA.

And since you can go that path anytime, I would give the upgrade installation a go before taking that option. But a previous backup is always mandatory, of course.
Fernando (FMR)

Did anyone try an upgrading? It would be interesting to hear about your experience, perhaps problems. I think, win 10 home is sufficient if you are not interested in network options, or am I wrong?

gonzomaster wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:08 pm Did anyone try an upgrading? It would be interesting to hear about your experience, perhaps problems. I think, win 10 home is sufficient if you are not interested in network options, or am I wrong?
If you're having issues with your current system, it might not get resolved with an in-place upgrade.

Added encryption is a bonus, if you're using Windows 7 Home, the upgrade path is also Home, IIRC.
You might still be able to get the free upgrade to Win 10, it would also give you a digital license based on your hardware id's, including a fresh install.

I initially started the upgrade process, too many apps not carried across with the upgrade process. It would have caused more trouble than it was worth.
Backup!
Having access to a my previous plug-in locations and appdata folder is a bonus when it comes to fresh installs, I do this at least once a year, Windows usually gets bogged down after a while.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

gonzomaster wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:08 pm Did anyone try an upgrading? It would be interesting to hear about your experience, perhaps problems. I think, win 10 home is sufficient if you are not interested in network options, or am I wrong?
You mean downgrade to win10? works from win8. You can expect some unexplainable network problems like shared folders not working after some updates and mysteriously starting to work again later.
~stratum~

Win10 pro gives you the option to delay updates - for normal updates, by up to a month, for Win10 6-monthly "upgrades", by up to a year.

Win7 is better.
You should hold off updating until Win7 stops getting updates (jan 2020).
If you haven't "upgraded" before, you can still do a free install of win10 if you have a legitimate win7 license, but only a clean install (copy data/settings off, boot from win10 usb install drive, wipe partitions, clean install, copy data back on, reinstall programs and settings).
Any legitimate win7 license will work so long as it's tied to that particular computer.

metamorphosis wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:39 pm If you haven't "upgraded" before, you can still do a free install of win10 if you have a legitimate win7 license, but only a clean install (copy data/settings off, boot from win10 usb install drive, wipe partitions, clean install, copy data back on, reinstall programs and settings).
Any legitimate win7 license will work so long as it's tied to that particular computer.
1. I did upgrade from Win7 on two machines, and it worked flawlessly. I'm surprised someone mentioned apps not working - what kind of apps. I have some applications for the time of XP that still work in Windows 10. Those "apps" that are not working you better leave them out, anyway - they have to be badly written for the system to complain.

2. It's not true that you can't upgrade anymore. Anyway, you have nothing to loose, do you? Try and check yourself. If it doesn't work, all you have to do is format and reinstall (which it would be what you would have to do if you would follow the "start fresh" path, anyway.

3. It's not true either that the Windows 7 license used to validate Windows has to be tied to the machine you are installing to. ANY Windows 7 license, no matter where you used it, will work. I just validated last Monday a newly installed Windows 10 in a new computer my daughter bought with a Windows 7 serial I had stored from an old computer.

4. Anyway, I second the opinion that if you are pleased with Windows 7, you should keep it for as long as you can. Paraphrasing some ohter company slogan: It just works...
Fernando (FMR)

If your win7 x64 works i would not change to win10. the only thing wi10 has is a newer directX version. If you don't play games you can ignore it.

Thanks for your answers. I will wait until the next bigger Win 7 update and see, if perhaps by using the new update-package the error will disappear.
If this will not work, I will perhaps make the step to a Win 10-upgrade.

gonzomaster wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:24 pm Thanks for your answers. I will wait until the next bigger Win 7 update and see, if perhaps by using the new update-package the error will disappear.
If this will not work, I will perhaps make the step to a Win 10-upgrade.
It's unlikely there will ever be another "big" Windows 7 update. Windows 7 is now on safety updates only mode.

But what kind of problems are you experiencing? I find it strange that you can't get rid of them by performing a deep "house cleaning"
Fernando (FMR)

It is the error code 8000FFFF. File KB4467107 is downloaded, but not installed. I tried a lot of things to fix the problem...

gonzomaster wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:41 pm It is the error code 8000FFFF. File KB4467107 is downloaded, but not installed. I tried a lot of things to fix the problem...
Oh that? Yes, I have been through that kind of problems some times. Usually, waiting a couple of months for another security update that comes that eventually goes through, and everything is solved. You have survived until now, it's not likely you will die without that patch, anyway.

Try to force install it (but before make sure you kill as much running processes as you can). If you are still unsuccessful, go to Windows Update, and hide it. It will not bother you anymore. Hopefully, next month the patch will install successfully, and you will be done.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:32 am 1. I did upgrade from Win7 on two machines, and it worked flawlessly. I'm surprised someone mentioned apps not working - what kind of apps. I have some applications for the time of XP that still work in Windows 10. Those "apps" that are not working you better leave them out, anyway - they have to be badly written for the system to complain.
Not sure what this is in reference to.

fmr wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:32 am2. It's not true that you can't upgrade anymore. Anyway, you have nothing to loose, do you? Try and check yourself. If it doesn't work, all you have to do is format and reinstall (which it would be what you would have to do if you would follow the "start fresh" path, anyway.
It is true that you can't do an upgrade install for free anymore.
You can however do a free clean install if you have a win7 key. Read what I wrote please.

fmr wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:32 am 3. It's not true either that the Windows 7 license used to validate Windows has to be tied to the machine you are installing to. ANY Windows 7 license, no matter where you used it, will work. I just validated last Monday a newly installed Windows 10 in a new computer my daughter bought with a Windows 7 serial I had stored from an old computer.
Good luck with that.
I've heard some reports of this, but I wouldn't trust the approach overly.

fmr wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:32 am 4. Anyway, I second the opinion that if you are pleased with Windows 7, you should keep it for as long as you can. Paraphrasing some ohter company slogan: It just works...
Yes, true that.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”